Proving the Existence of a Vector for a Matrix with Linearly Independent Rows

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a matrix A with linearly independent rows and the existence of a vector p such that Ap equals a specific vector e_1. The speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem and mentions a possible counterexample. However, the other person suggests considering the surjectivity of linear maps and the properties of matrices. It is noted that the specific vector e_1 may not be necessary and any vector of the appropriate dimension could suffice.
retspool
So i have a problem in front of me

Let A be a m x n matrix whose rows are linearly independent. Prove that there exists a vector p such taht Ap = e_1 where e_1 =( 1, 0 , 0, 0, 0,0 ,0 ... 0)T

i don't even know where to begin

Physics news on Phys.org

Is that the complete problem statement? As it is, it's easy to find a counterexample, e.g., the zero matrix.

Yeah that is the complete problem statement.

but it is a question from my Optimization class and not Linear Algebra

I don't understand how the zero matrix will fit the bill

Sorry, I misread "independent" as "dependent." Never mind.

Maybe you know something about surjectivity of linear maps and the properties of the matrices that represent them?
Since you don't have detailed information about A, you can't explicitly find p, but also it doesn't really matter whether it is e_1 or any other vector of the right dimension.

Related to Proving the Existence of a Vector for a Matrix with Linearly Independent Rows

1. How do you prove the existence of a vector for a matrix with linearly independent rows?

To prove the existence of a vector for a matrix with linearly independent rows, you can use the Rank-Nullity Theorem. This theorem states that the rank of a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent rows, and the nullity is equal to the number of linearly dependent rows. Therefore, if the rank of the matrix is equal to the number of rows, there exists a vector that satisfies the system of linear equations formed by the rows of the matrix.

2. Can you provide an example of a matrix with linearly independent rows?

Yes, consider the matrix A = [1 0 2; 0 1 3; 2 3 4]. The rows of this matrix are linearly independent, as can be seen by solving the system of linear equations formed by the rows (x + 2z = 0, y + 3z = 0, and 2x + 3y + 4z = 0). The only solution is x = y = z = 0, which proves that the rows are linearly independent.

3. Is it possible for a matrix to have linearly independent rows but no vector that satisfies the system of equations?

No, if a matrix has linearly independent rows, there must exist a vector that satisfies the system of equations formed by those rows. This is because the Rank-Nullity Theorem guarantees that the rank of the matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent rows, and therefore, there must exist a solution to the system of equations.

4. How does the existence of a vector for a matrix with linearly independent rows relate to the invertibility of the matrix?

A matrix with linearly independent rows is always invertible. This is because having linearly independent rows ensures that the matrix has full rank, which means that it is non-singular and has an inverse. The vector that satisfies the system of equations formed by the rows of the matrix can be used to construct the inverse of the matrix.

5. Are there any other methods for proving the existence of a vector for a matrix with linearly independent rows?

Yes, another method is to use the concept of linear independence and span. If the rows of a matrix are linearly independent, it means that they form a basis for the column space of the matrix. Therefore, any vector in the column space can be written as a linear combination of the rows. This shows that there exists a vector that satisfies the system of equations formed by the rows of the matrix.