Proving the Constant Wronskian Theorem for Scalar ODEs

In summary, the Wronskian is a constant if x(t) and y(t) are linear independent. If x(t) and y(t) have a root inside of (t1, t2), y has at least one root.
heinerL
Hello

I'm trying to solve the following problem: given the scalar ODE [tex]x''+q(t)x=0[/tex] with a continuous function q.

x(t) and y(t) are two solution of the ODE and the wronskian is:

[tex]W(t):=x(t)y'(t)-x'(t)y(t)[/tex]. x(t) and y(t) are linear independent if [tex]W(t)\neq 0[/tex].

I want to show that W(t) is constant and that if [tex]x(t_1)=0 \Rightarrow x'(t_1) \neq 0[/tex] and [tex]y(t_1) \neq 0[/tex].

I am completely lost, can you help me?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate x(t)y'(t)- x'(t)y(t) again:
x'y'+ xy''- x"y- x'y'= xy"- x"y
Now, y'= -qy and x"= -qx so that becomes x(-qy)- (-qy)x= 0 for all t. That implies that the Wronskian itself isa constant.

HallsofIvy said:
Differentiate x(t)y'(t)- x'(t)y(t) again:
x'y'+ xy''- x"y- x'y'= xy"- x"y
Now, y'= -qy and x"= -qx so that becomes x(-qy)- (-qy)x= 0 for all t. That implies that the Wronskian itself isa constant.

Do you mean y''=-qy and x''=-qx? How do you get this?

And for the second part can i say: Because x(t) and y(t) are linear independent if [tex]W(t) \neq 0, \forall t[/tex]
So let's say x(t) and y(t) are linear independent and [tex]x(t_1)=0 \Rightarrow W(t_1)=-x(t_1)*y(t_1)[/tex] and suppose [tex]x'(t_1)=0 \Rightarrow W(t_1)=0[/tex] which is a contradiction, that means that if [tex] x(t_1)=0 \Rightarrow x'(t_1) \neq 0 \ \ and \ \ y(t_1) \neq 0[/tex].

Is this correct?

heinerL said:
Do you mean y''=-qy and x''=-qx? How do you get this?

Yeah, this is what Halls meant. It's true of course because x and y satisfy the differential equation.

Your argument for linear independence is correct except when you wrote [tex]W(t_1)=-x(t_1)*y(t_1)
[/tex][/tex] you meant [tex]W(t_1)=-x'(t_1)*y(t_1)
[/tex]

Ah okey thanks I get it! And yes i meant [tex]W(t_1)=-x'(t_1)*y(t_1)[/tex].

And i found another argument but without proof, do you know how to proof it:

If [tex] x(t_1)=x(t_2)=0 \ \ and \ \ x(t) \neq 0 \ \ for \ \ t \in (t_1,t_2)[/tex] then it follows that [tex]y(t)[/tex] has a exactly one root in [tex](t_1,t_2)[/tex]

I found a way. I'll give a brief sketch for you to try to work out
1) Compare the signs of x'(t1) and x'(t2)
2) Use this to conclude that y(t) has at least one root on (t1, t2)
3) If it has two roots, explain why x(t) has a root inside of (t1, t2)

So i try to write down my thoughts:

[tex]t_1 & t_2[/tex] are roots of x
So
[tex]W(t_k)=-x'(t_k)y(t_k)<0 \ \ k =1,2 \Rightarrow y(t_k), x'(t_k) \neq 0[/tex]

Suppose [tex]x'(t_1)>0 \Rightarrow \ \ \ "mean value theorm" \ \ \ x(t)>0[/tex]
then if [tex]x'(t_2)>0 \Rightarrow x(t)<0[/tex] which is a contradiction because then x would have another root between t_1 and t_2 therefore [tex]x'(t_2)<0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x'(t_1)>0, x'(t_2)<0 \Rightarrow y(t_1)>0, y(t_2)<0[/tex]

So y has root in (t_1,t_2)

And there is just one root because if there would be another root one can switch x and y and with above show that there is just one root!

Is this correct?

Related to Proving the Constant Wronskian Theorem for Scalar ODEs

1. What is the Constant Wronskian Theorem for Scalar ODEs?

The Constant Wronskian Theorem for Scalar ODEs states that the Wronskian of any two linearly independent solutions of a scalar ordinary differential equation (ODE) is constant. In other words, the determinant of the matrix formed by these solutions is always the same, regardless of the choice of solutions.

2. Why is the Constant Wronskian Theorem important?

The Constant Wronskian Theorem is important because it allows us to easily verify the linear independence of solutions to a scalar ODE. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of differential equations and in the construction of general solutions.

3. How is the Constant Wronskian Theorem proven?

The Constant Wronskian Theorem can be proven using basic techniques from linear algebra and calculus. First, we show that the Wronskian of two solutions is constant by taking the derivative of the determinant and using the properties of determinants. Then, we use the fundamental theorem of calculus to show that the Wronskian is constant over the entire domain of the solutions.

4. Can the Constant Wronskian Theorem be extended to systems of ODEs?

Yes, the Constant Wronskian Theorem can be extended to systems of ODEs. In this case, the Wronskian is defined as the determinant of the matrix formed by the solutions of the system. The same principles and techniques used to prove the theorem for scalar ODEs can be applied to systems of ODEs.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Constant Wronskian Theorem?

Yes, the Constant Wronskian Theorem has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used in the study of vibrations and oscillations, as well as in the analysis of electrical circuits and control systems. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and in the solution of differential equations in general.