Proving the Change of Coordinate Matrix for Left-Multiplication Transformation

In summary, the statement is proving that for a matrix A in M_n x n, and an ordered basis gamma for F^n, the left-multiplication transformation L_A can be represented as Q^-1AQ, where Q is the matrix whose columns are the vectors of gamma. The change of coordinate matrix C maps gamma-coordinates to beta-coordinates, and for L_A to hold true, C must be the identity transformation.
iomtt6076

Homework Statement

Prove: Let [tex] A \in \mathrm{M}_{n \times n}(\mathbb{F}) [/tex] and let [tex] \gamma [/tex] be an ordered basis for [tex] \mathbb{F}^n [/tex]. Then [tex] [\boldmath{L}_A]_{\gamma} = Q^{-1}AQ [/tex], where Q is the nxn matrix whose jth column is the jth vector of [tex] \gamma [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex] \boldmath{L}_A [/tex] denotes the left-multiplication transformation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [tex] \beta [/tex] be the standard ordered basis for [tex] \mathbb{F}^n [/tex] and C the change of coordinate matrix from [tex] \beta [/tex]-coordinates to [tex] \gamma [/tex]-coordinates. Then [tex] [\boldmath{L}_A]_{\beta} = A [/tex] and we have [tex] [\boldmath{L}_A]_{\gamma} = C^{-1}AC [/tex]. Where I'm stuck is showing that the jth column of C is the jth vector of [tex] \gamma [/tex]. Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix C whose jth column is the jth vector of gamma maps the standard basis (1,0...0), (0,1,...0)...(0,0...1) into gamma, doesn't it?

Dick said:
The matrix C whose jth column is the jth vector of gamma maps the standard basis (1,0...0), (0,1,...0)...(0,0...1) into gamma, doesn't it?

Dick, thanks for the response. I think I got it now. C should be the change of coordinate matrix from gamma-coordinates to beta-coordinates, not beta to gamma as I had stated above at first. In other words, for [tex] [\boldmath{L}_A]_{\gamma} = C^{-1}AC [/tex] to hold true, [tex] C = [\boldmath{I}]_{\gamma}^{\beta} [/tex] where I is the identity transformation. Then everything makes sense.

Related to Proving the Change of Coordinate Matrix for Left-Multiplication Transformation

What is a change of coordinate matrix?

A change of coordinate matrix is a mathematical tool used to transform coordinates from one system to another. It is commonly used in geometry, physics, and engineering to simplify calculations and describe transformations between different coordinate systems.

What is the purpose of a change of coordinate matrix?

The purpose of a change of coordinate matrix is to make it easier to work with coordinates in different systems. By using this tool, we can convert coordinates from one system to another and perform calculations or make comparisons between them.

How do you construct a change of coordinate matrix?

To construct a change of coordinate matrix, you need to know the relationship between the two coordinate systems. This can be done by finding the transformation equations for each coordinate and then organizing them into a matrix. The resulting matrix is the change of coordinate matrix.

What is the difference between a change of coordinate matrix and a transformation matrix?

While both matrices involve transformations, a change of coordinate matrix specifically deals with converting coordinates between two different systems. A transformation matrix, on the other hand, can represent any type of transformation, such as rotations or translations, within the same coordinate system.

Can a change of coordinate matrix be used for 3D transformations?

Yes, a change of coordinate matrix can be used for 3D transformations. In this case, the matrix will be a 4x4 matrix, with the additional row and column representing the third dimension. The process of constructing and using the matrix is the same as for 2D transformations.