Proving the Arithmetic Series Property for x and y When x=! -1, y=! -1, x=! -y

In summary, the conversation discusses the condition for x and y to make the series 1/(x+1) + 1/(x+y) + 1/(y+1) an arithmetic series. It is shown that if x=y=1, then both the first and second series are arithmetic. The conversation then goes on to discuss how to prove that if the first series is arithmetic, the second series must also be arithmetic. It is determined that the algebra was done incorrectly and a common denominator is needed to combine the fractions. Once this mistake is corrected, it is proven that the second series must also be arithmetic.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

When x=! -1, y=! -1, x=! -y then x and y are two numbers so that 1/(x+1) + 1/(x+y) + 1/(y+1)... is an arithmetic serie. Show that then also x2 + 1 + y2... must be an arithmetic serie.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the differentials between each number in the first line, then make them equal each other but I really didn't get anywhere. I figured out though that if x=y=1 then both of the series are arithmetic.

Anyways can I get some help pls?

Physics news on Phys.org
a+b+c+... an arithmetic series if b-a=c-b, right? Apply that to both your series and show they lead to the same condition on x and y.

Yes, I wrote in the OP that I tried that but I didn't get any smarter.. can you maybe please solve this problem and show me how you did it?

BTW: What do you mean by condition? You mean that x is the same number in both the series, and y is the same number in both the series? I got y=0.216 and Y=1, and x=0.37 and x=1, if I remember correct. That was wrong.

Nikitin said:
Yes, I wrote in the OP that I tried that but I didn't get any smarter.. can you maybe please solve this problem and show me how you did it?

BTW: What do you mean by condition? You mean that x is the same number in both the series, and y is the same number in both the series? I got y=0.216 and Y=1, and x=0.37 and x=1, if I remember correct. That was wrong.

Look, if x^2+1+y^2+... is arithmetic then 1-x^2=y^2-1. Yes? That leads to the 'condition' that 2=x^2+y^2. There are lots of solutions to that. Like x=0 and y=sqrt(2). All you have to do is do some algebra to show that the other series gives you the same equation in x and y.

Well sure x=y=1 is a solution to both but that's not showing anything is it? I already did that difference between each joint stuff a while ago, and I got

2=y^2 + x^2 in the second series and
2= (1/y) + (1/x) in the first.

that doesn't really tell me anything.. And are you suggesting that the difference in the first serie and the second are the same? Whut?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
Well sure x=y=1 is a solution to both but that's not showing anything is it? I already did that difference between each joint stuff a while ago, and I got

2=y^2 + x^2 in the second series and
2= (1/y) + (1/x) in the first.

that doesn't really tell me anything.. And are you suggesting that the difference in the first serie and the second are the same? Whut?

No, the differences aren't the same between the two series. What is true is that b-a=c-b for each series. I think you did the algebra wrong for the second series. Can you show how you got 2= (1/y) + (1/x)?

b-a= (1/y) - 1, c-b= 1 - 1/x. c-b=b-a. (1/y) - 1 = 1 - 1/x => 2 = 1/y + 1/x.

But I don't get it, what am I supposed to do with this? can somebody help? How do I prove that as a result of the first serie, the second one must also be arithmetic??

Nikitin said:
b-a= (1/y) - 1, c-b= 1 - 1/x. c-b=b-a. (1/y) - 1 = 1 - 1/x => 2 = 1/y + 1/x.

But I don't get it, what am I supposed to do with this? can somebody help? How do I prove that as a result of the first serie, the second one must also be arithmetic??

You can't simplify 1/(x+y)-1/(x+1) to 1/y-1 by magically canceling the x. That's wrong algebra. You need to find a common denominator if you are going to combine them.

ah damn, you're right, I've been doing lots of mistakes of this type lately (sleep deprivation I guess).

OK that was the root of the entire problem, I mixed up the fractions-math. Sorry. thanks for the help, I get it now.

Related to Proving the Arithmetic Series Property for x and y When x=! -1, y=! -1, x=! -y

What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. For example, in the series 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, the common difference is 3, and each term is obtained by adding 3 to the previous term.

What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

How do you determine if a series is arithmetic?

A series is arithmetic if the difference between each term and the previous term is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference. To determine if a series is arithmetic, you can check if the difference between each term and the previous term is the same.

What is the difference between an arithmetic series and a geometric series?

The main difference between an arithmetic series and a geometric series is how each term is obtained. In an arithmetic series, each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term, while in a geometric series, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number.

How is the concept of Two arithmetic series used in real life?

Two arithmetic series can be used in real life to model situations where there is a constant rate of change. For example, it can be used to calculate the total cost of a recurring monthly bill, where the cost increases by a fixed amount each month. It can also be used in financial planning to calculate the total amount of savings over time, where the amount saved increases by a fixed amount each month.