Proving that the Union of Two Non-Intersecting Subspaces is Not a Subspace

So which one is it? In summary, the conversation is about proving that the union of two subspaces W1 and W2, where W1 is not a subset of W2 and vice versa, is not a vector space. The person is unsure how to approach the problem, but knows that proving f(x) = 0 is a subspace using constant multiplication and sum of two copies law. There is confusion about the conditions given and whether there is an intersection between W1 and W2, which is necessary to determine the next steps in the proof.
lom
V is a vectoric space.

[tex]W_1,W_2\subseteq V\\[/tex]
[tex]W_1\nsubseteq W_2\\[/tex]
[tex]W_2\nsubseteq W_1\\[/tex]
prove that [tex]W_1 \cup W_2[/tex] is not a vectoric subspace of V.
i don't ave the shread of idea on how to tackle it

i only know to prove that some stuff is subspace

but constant mutiplication

and by sum of two coppies
this question here differs alot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lom said:
V is a vectoric space.

[tex]W_1,W_2\subseteq V\\[/tex]
prove that [tex]W_1 \cdown W_2[/tex] is not a vectoric subspace of V.

i don't ave the shread of idea on how to tackle it

i only know to prove that some stuff is subspace

but constant mutiplication

and by sum of two coppies

this question here differs alot
Differs a lot from what? Is there any other information given in your problem? For example, you have that
[tex]W_1\nsubseteq W_2[/tex]
and
[tex]W_2\nsubseteq W_1[/tex]

but are you given anything about
[tex]W_1 \bigcap W_2[/tex]
?

BTW, the term is "vector space" not vectoric space. No such word as vectoric.

it differs by its pure theoretic way

i am used to prove that f(x)=0 is a subspace
by the constant multiplication and sum of two copies law
i only know that
[tex]
W_1,W_2\subseteq V\\
[/tex]

i have written all the given stuff

Since you are only given conditions on two subspaces, the only thing you can do next is look at the individual elements. The two conditions [itex]W_1 \not\subseteq W_2[/itex] and [itex]W_2 \not\subseteq W_1[/itex] imply the existence of what elements in these sets?

W1 and W2 are foreign to each other
there is no intersection between them

Are you sure that there is no intersection between them? Let's take a step back. What is the actual condition that [itex]W_1 \not\subseteq W_2[/itex]?

its not only
[itex]
W_1 \not\subseteq W_2
[/itex]
its both
[itex]
W_1 \not\subseteq W_2
[/itex]
and [itex]
W_2 \not\subseteq W_1
[/itex]as for what you say:
[itex]
W_1 \not\subseteq W_2
[/itex]
means that all the members of W1 are not a part W2 group

No, it does not mean that all the members of W1 are not in W2. It means that there exists a member of W1 that is not in W2. Does that make sense? If so, where can you go from there?

lom said:
W1 and W2 are foreign to each other
there is no intersection between them

You can't conclude that from these two statements:

It's very possible that W1 contains some elements that are in W2, but other elements that aren't in W2. Same thing for the other statement. That's why I asked if you were given that these two sets are disjoint. You said you weren't given that information, and now here you're saying that they are.

Related to Proving that the Union of Two Non-Intersecting Subspaces is Not a Subspace

1. What is a theoretical group proof?

A theoretical group proof is a mathematical argument or demonstration that shows a certain mathematical structure, known as a group, satisfies certain properties or conditions. It is used to verify the validity of a group and its operations.

2. What is the purpose of a theoretical group proof?

The purpose of a theoretical group proof is to provide a rigorous and logical reasoning for the existence and properties of a group. It helps to establish the validity and usefulness of a group in various mathematical contexts.

3. What are the key elements of a theoretical group proof?

The key elements of a theoretical group proof include the definition of a group, the demonstration of the group's closure, associativity, identity, and inverse properties, and the use of logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to establish the validity of the group.

4. How are theoretical group proofs used in mathematics?

Theoretical group proofs are used in mathematics to verify the properties and existence of groups, which are fundamental mathematical structures used in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, geometry, and number theory. They also provide a basis for further mathematical research and applications.

5. Are theoretical group proofs applicable to real-world problems?

While theoretical group proofs are primarily used in abstract mathematics, they have real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. Groups are used to model and solve problems related to symmetry, rotation, and transformation, making theoretical group proofs essential for understanding these phenomena.