Proving that S=T with V and W Vector Spaces, Basis {v1...vn}, and T(vi)=S(vi)

In summary: I have merged the two threads. If you want to reply, just use the "Post Reply" button. There is no need to start a new thread.In summary, for the given conversation, it is shown that if S is an element of L(V,W) and T is an element of L(V,W) with the same basis {v1...vn}, and T(vi)=S(vi) for all i with 1<=i<=n, then S=T. This is proven by using the fact that two vector spaces with a bijective linear map are isomorphic, and by showing that T and S are equal through their isomorphism and the fact that they have the same basis. Additionally, it is mentioned
mrroboto
Suppose V and W are vector spaces, and {v1...vn} is basis for V and T. S is an element of L(V, W). Suppose further that T(vi)=S(vi) for all i with 1<= i <=n. Show that S=T.

Here's what I think.

Because S is an element of L(V,W), S:V-->W means that S has a basis of {v1...vn}, and two vector spaces that form a bijective linear map (which S and T do because they have the same basis) are isomorphic. Moreover, because T(vi)=S(vi) then by their isomorphism, T and S must be equal.

This is the last question on my practice midterm and I'm unsure if this is how to proceed with the proof. Any comments, especially on how I could do this more "formally"?

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Suppose V and W are vector spaces, and {v1...vn} is basis for V and T. S is an element of L(V, W). Suppose further that T(vi)=S(vi) for all i with 1<= i <=n. Show that S=T.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I think.

Because S is an element of L(V,W), S:V-->W means that S has a basis of {v1...vn}, and two vector spaces that form a bijective linear map (which S and T do because they have the same basis) are isomorphic. Moreover, because T(vi)=S(vi) then by their isomorphism, T and S must be equal.

This is the last question on my practice midterm and I'm unsure if this is how to proceed with the proof. Any comments, especially on how I could do this more "formally"?

Last edited:
Maps (in L(V,W)) don't have bases. Vector spaces have bases. Can you rephrase the question knowing that?

Last edited:
(I suppose you also meant T is in L(V,W) as well.)

What do you mean when you say "S has a basis"?! S is a linear map, not a vector space. V is what has the basis {v_1, ..., v_n}. Now to show that S=T, it will be enough to show that T(v)=S(v) for all v in V. But each v in V has a unique representation in terms of the basis vectors. So use this (and don't forget that T and S are linear).

mrroboto said:

Homework Statement

Suppose V and W are vector spaces, and {v1...vn} is basis for V and T. S is an element of L(V, W).
?? You mean, I think, that "{v1,..., vn} is a basis for V." and that "T and S are elements of L(V,W).

Suppose further that T(vi)=S(vi) for all i with 1<= i <=n. Show that S=T.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I think.

As Dick pointed out, linear maps do not have a basis! You mean that {v1,...,vn} is a basis for V (which you had already said). In order to prove that T= S, you must prove that T(v)= S(v) for any vector v in V. v can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors: v= a1v1+ ...+ a2v2. What happens if you apply both T and S to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
This was also posted in the "homework" area so I am merging the two threads.

mrroboto, do NOT double post!

Related to Proving that S=T with V and W Vector Spaces, Basis {v1...vn}, and T(vi)=S(vi)

1. What is the significance of proving that S=T with vector spaces V and W?

Proving that S=T with vector spaces V and W is important because it shows that two different vector spaces can be equivalent or have the same structure. This allows for easier understanding and manipulation of mathematical concepts involving vector spaces.

2. How is the basis {v1...vn} related to proving S=T with vector spaces V and W?

The basis {v1...vn} is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the vector space V. It is used to represent all possible vectors in V. In proving that S=T, it is important to show that the basis vectors in V and W have the same structure and can be mapped to each other.

3. What does it mean for T(vi) to equal S(vi) in proving S=T with vector spaces V and W?

In this context, T(vi) and S(vi) represent the images of the basis vectors vi in the vector spaces V and W, respectively. When T(vi) and S(vi) are equal, it means that the linear transformation T and S map the same input, vi, to the same output. This is an important condition in proving that S=T.

4. Can S=T be proven if V and W have different dimensions?

No, S=T can only be proven if V and W have the same dimension. This is because the dimension of a vector space represents the number of linearly independent vectors needed to span the space. If V and W have different dimensions, it means they have different numbers of basis vectors, and therefore cannot be equivalent.

5. How does proving S=T with vector spaces V and W relate to real-world applications?

Proving S=T with vector spaces V and W has various real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, in physics, the concept of vector spaces is used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. By proving S=T, we can show that different representations of the same physical quantity are equivalent, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.