Proving T is a Bijection: D* to D

• Thread starter ironman2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary: To show that it is globally 1:1, you need to show that each point (x,y) has a unique corresponding point (u,v) and vice versa. You can do this by finding the inverse function of T and showing that it exists and is unique. In summary, the conversation discusses the map T : R2 -> R2 given by (x,y) = T(u,v) = (sin u/cos v, sin v/cos u) and the task of proving that it is a bijection. The region D* is found to be the positive quadrant bounded by a specific line. The method of using the determinant of the Jacobian to prove local one-to-one behavior is ruled out since T is
ironman2

Homework Statement

D* = {(u,v) | u>0, v>0, u + v < pi/2} and D = {(x,y) | 0<x<1, 0<y<1}

The map T : R2 -> R2 is given by (x,y) = T(u,v) = (sin u/cos v, sin v/cos u).

To prove that T is a bijection

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kinda stuck finding the limits for u and v and get the region for D*. Once I can nail down the region for D* I can break into different paths and get the solution. I've done squares to squares and stuff before, but can't get my head around the triangular region for D*.

Any ideas guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
so if u is horizontal, v is vertical axis

D* is the positive quadrant bounded on the upper right by the line that passses through (0,pi/2) and (pi/2,0)

Ok, so I've figured out that I can prove that T is one-to-one if the determination of the transformation matrix A is not zero. How do I find the transformation matrix given that sin and cos are involved? Also, I'm guessing that if I can build an inverse function that expresses (u,v) as some (inverse trig?) function of x & y, I can prove bijection... but I'm stuck.. help?!

thats only for linear maps, this not a linear map...

do you know about the Inverse Function Theorem?

Oh my bad, ofcourse this isn't a linear map, so the determinants methods is ruled out.

No, I'm not familiar with Inverse Function Theorem... can you tell me what it is and how can I use it here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_function_theorem

it basically says a function has an inverse on a neighbourhood if the determininant of the Jacobian ins non-zero

this is similar to saying the function can be approximated by a linear function on a small enough neighbourhood eg. taylor series

Ok, so if we take f1 = sin u/cosv and f2 = sin v/cos u, the determinant of the Jacobian becomes 1 - tan2vsin2u... which is a mess. I don't get the bigger picture from here. What do I from the Jacobian?

its not much of a mess, plus all you need to know is whether it can be zero on the given inetrval... the jacobian shows the function is locally 1:1

then you need to show it is globally 1:1 and onto (each x,y has a unique corresponding u,v)

So, the function is locally 1:1 if the Jacobian is zero on the given interval?

Can you give me some more hints on how to proceed to prove that it is globally 1:1?

the function is locally 1:1 if the Jacobian is non-zero on the given interval

Related to Proving T is a Bijection: D* to D

1. What is a bijection in mathematics?

A bijection is a function that is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that every element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the codomain, and every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain.

2. What is the significance of proving T is a bijection?

Proving that T is a bijection is important because it ensures that the function is both one-to-one and onto, which guarantees that every element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the codomain. This property is useful in many mathematical applications, such as in cryptography and data compression.

3. How do you prove that T is a bijection?

To prove that T is a bijection, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This can be done by showing that for any two elements in the domain, if they have the same image in the codomain, then they must be the same element in the domain (injective property), and that every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain (surjective property).

4. What is the notation for a bijection in mathematics?

A bijection can be represented using the notation f: A → B, where f is the function, A is the domain, and B is the codomain. The notation f(x) = y indicates that the element x in the domain has a corresponding element y in the codomain.

5. Can a function be a bijection if its domain and codomain are different?

Yes, a function can be a bijection even if its domain and codomain are different. The important factor is that every element in the domain has a unique corresponding element in the codomain, and every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain. As long as these conditions are met, the function can be considered a bijection.