Proving Stokes Theorem w/ Homework Equations

In summary: Similarly for the other components. Then you can use Stokes theorem on each component separately, since it's now a scalar integral.
Gregg

Homework Statement

Prove that

## \oint_{\partial S} ||\vec{F}||^2 d\vec{F} = -\int\int_S 2 \vec{F}\times d\vec{A} ##

Homework Equations

Identities:

##\nabla \times (||\vec{F}||^2 \vec{k}) = 2\vec{F} \times \vec{k} ##

For ##\vec{k} ## constant i.e. ## \nabla \times \vec{k} = 0 ##

Stokes Theorem

##\oint_{\partial S} \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{x} = \int\int_S (\nabla \times \vec{B})\cdot d \vec{A} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I need to use that identity ##\nabla \times (||\vec{F}||^2 \vec{k}) = 2\vec{F} \times \vec{k} ##

The problem is that Stokes theorem is in a different form. The constant vector here I think is the k=dA.

I really can't think of what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]\vec F[/itex] is the vector field, but I'm not sure what [itex]||\vec F||[/itex] represents in the original equation.

I made an error. It is a squared term.

Assuming that there are no more mistakes in your first post, [itex]\vec k[/itex] represents the outward unit normal vector from the surface, S.

Maybe you should use Stokes' theorem for each component of the original vector-valued integral
[tex] \vec{I}= \oint ||\vec{F}||^2 d\vec{F} [/tex]
[tex] I_x = \oint (||\vec{F}||^2 \vec{e}_x) \cdot d\vec{F} [/tex]
etc. Now it's in the correct form.

clamtrox said:
Maybe you should use Stokes' theorem for each component of the original vector-valued integral
[tex] \vec{I}= \oint ||\vec{F}||^2 d\vec{F} [/tex]
[tex] I_x = \oint (||\vec{F}||^2 \vec{e}_x) \cdot d\vec{F} [/tex]
etc. Now it's in the correct form.

I don't understand this?

Gregg said:
I don't understand this?

[itex]\vec{e}_x [/itex] is the unit vector in x-direction. The lower integral is just the x-component of your full integral. You can calculate this by taking the dot product with [itex] \vec{e}_x [/itex].

Related to Proving Stokes Theorem w/ Homework Equations

What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface.

What are the conditions for using Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem can only be applied to a closed and bounded surface and a continuously differentiable vector field over that surface.

How can I prove Stokes Theorem with homework equations?

To prove Stokes Theorem, you will need to use the definition of the line integral and surface integral, as well as the fundamental theorem of calculus and the properties of vector calculus operations such as curl and divergence.

What are some common applications of Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force on a moving object or determining the flow of fluid through a surface.

Can Stokes Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Stokes Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of differential forms and the generalized Stokes Theorem.