Proving Stokes' Theorem: General Cases and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the Stokes' theorem for general cases can be proven by using the fundamental theorem of calculus and Fubini's theorem. A partition of unity argument can be used to extend this proof to global cases, but the rectangle case is the main idea. It is important to have a solid understanding of differential forms and their integration before attempting to understand this theorem.
davidge
How would one prove the Stokes' theorem for general cases? Namely that $$ \int_{\partial M} W = \int_M \partial W$$ where ##M## is the manifold.

Physics news on Phys.org
The exterior derivative of the differential form ##\omega## is normally written ##d\omega##.

There should be at least an outline of a proof in any textbook covering it.

Orodruin said:
The exterior derivative of the differential form ##\omega## is normally written ##d \omega##.
Ok. I have tried a derivation. Can this be considered valid?

##M = \int dM## and (maybe) ##\int_{a}^{b}dM \approx dM## if ##|b-a| <<1##
So, ##M## could be written as $$M = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \times \lim_{(b\ -\ a) \longrightarrow 0} \int_{a}^{b}dM = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \ dM$$
So, $$\int_M dw = \int_{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \ dM} dw \ \text{,}$$ which we can split in $$\int_{dM} dw + \int_{dM} dw + \int_{dM} dw \ + \ ...$$
Now, deriving both sides of ##\int_{\partial M} w = \int_M dw## with respect to ##M## (and using the above), we get ##w = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n \ dw##, which I guess is correct.

I know that this is not a derivation of the theorem, anyways maybe it is a proof that the theorem is correct.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, it seems that you are not at all familiar with these concepts. Essentially nothing that you proposed above is a valid identity and your notation is severely scrambled.

Orodruin said:
To be perfectly honest, it seems that you are not at all familiar with these concepts. Essentially nothing that you proposed above is a valid identity
So are you saying that ##w## is not equal to an infinite sum of its differentials ##dw##
And are you saying that a integral over an interval ##M## cannot be decomposed into integrals over infinitely many intervals between the end-points of ##M##

No, I am saying that essentially everything you have written shows that you do not really understand what the integral of a differential form means.
davidge said:
##M = \int dM## and (maybe) ##\int_{a}^{b}dM \approx dM## if ##|b-a| <<1##

This makes no sense whatsoever. You need to make up your mind whether ##M## is the manifold or whether it is a differential form. Regardless there is no integral over an interval from ##a## to ##b## and even in the simple case of a one-dimensional integral over a single variable ##M## that does not make sense. Also, an integral of a differential form is not a manifold nor a differential form, it is a number.

davidge said:
So, ##M## could be written as $$M = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \times \lim_{(b\ -\ a) \longrightarrow 0} \int_{a}^{b}dM = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \ dM$$

This is just delving deeper with more misconceptions.

davidge said:
So, $$\int_M dw = \int_{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \ dM} dw \ \text{,}$$ which we can split in $$\int_{dM} dw + \int_{dM} dw + \int_{dM} dw \ + \ ...$$

Here it is not even clear what you consider ##dM## to be. ##\partial M## that appears in Stokes' theorem is the boundary of ##M##, not a small part of ##M##.

davidge said:
Now, deriving both sides of ##\int_{\partial M} w = \int_M dw## with respect to ##M## (and using the above), we get ##w = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n \ dw##, which I guess is correct.

You cannot differentiate with respect to a manifold. What do you think the result would be?

davidge said:
I know that this is not a derivation of the theorem, anyways maybe it is a proof that the theorem is correct.

To me it seems clear that you need to go back and study the basics of calculus on manifolds, check in detail what differential forms are and how their integrals are defined. You will not get the right result by just guessing.

Orodruin said:
##\partial M## that appears in Stokes' theorem is the boundary of ##M##, not a small part of ##M##.
Oh, I thought it was a small part of ##M##.
Orodruin said:
This makes no sense whatsoever. You need to make up your mind whether ##M## is the manifold or whether it is a differential form. Regardless there is no integral over an interval from ##a## to ##b## and even in the simple case of a one-dimensional integral over a single variable ##M## that does not make sense. Also, an integral of a differential form is not a manifold nor a differential form, it is a number.
Orodruin said:
You cannot differentiate with respect to a manifold. What do you think the result would be?
Yes, I know it. So a way of doing things right would be to map ##M## into an interval in ##\mathbb{R}^m## (##m## is the dimension of ##M##), through a function ##\phi##, so that we would change all the ##M## in the integrals by ##\phi (M)##? If so, would my indentities become valid?

No. I am sorry to be so blunt, but it seems you do not have the prerequisite understanding of differential forms and their integration needed for Stokes' theorem. Again, I suggest going back to the basics until you really understand them.

Ok, so I'll read some texts on the subject before I come back here with another thread.

as i recall, stokes' theorem is just the fundamental theorem of calculus, plus fubini's theorem. i suggest reading lang's analysis I, chapter XX; at least that's where i became happy with it.

well since you asked about general cases, then you augment this proof for a rectangle by a partition of unity argument to globalize it. but the rectangle case is really the main idea.

Last edited:
Likes davidge

Related to Proving Stokes' Theorem: General Cases and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

1. What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the surface. It is named after Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

2. What is the significance of Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for evaluating surface integrals, which can be difficult to compute directly. It also helps to establish a connection between differential forms and vector calculus, making it useful in various areas of physics and engineering.

3. How is Stokes' theorem derived?

Stokes' theorem can be derived from the divergence theorem, which relates the triple integral of a vector field over a solid region to the surface integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the region. By applying the divergence theorem to a small region around a point on the surface, we can derive the general form of Stokes' theorem.

4. What are the conditions for Stokes' theorem to hold?

Stokes' theorem holds for any smooth surface in three-dimensional space, as long as the surface is closed and oriented consistently with the orientation of the boundary curve. Additionally, the vector field must be continuously differentiable in the region bounded by the surface and its boundary curve.

5. How is Stokes' theorem used in real-world applications?

Stokes' theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate fluid flow rates, electric and magnetic fields, and surface areas in 3D models, among other things. It is also used in the study of differential forms and their applications in geometry and topology.