Proving some Dirac-Delta identity that uses Laplacian

In summary: The final expression is 6\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z).In summary, the final expression for proving ##(x^2+y^2+z^2)\nabla^2[\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)]=6\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)## is obtained by expanding the laplacian and finding that only the first term survives, resulting in 6 multiplied by the delta function for x, y, and z.
davidbenari

Homework Statement

Prove that ##(x^2+y^2+z^2)\nabla^2[\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)]=6\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)##

Homework Equations

##\delta''(x)/2=\delta(x)/x^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained this:

##6\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z) + (xy)^2/2\Bigg(\delta''(y)\delta''(z)+\delta''(x)\delta''(z)\Bigg)+(xz)^2/2\Bigg(\delta''(y)\delta''(z)+\delta''(x)\delta''(y)\Bigg)+(yz)^2/2\Bigg(\delta''(x)\delta''(z)+\delta''(x)\delta''(y)\Bigg)##

This looks like a huge mess, hehe, sorry.

Any ideas on how to make disappear those ugly terms and only remain with the first one?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the identity for [itex]x\delta(x)[/itex]?

##x\delta(x)=0## Is this a hint or were you asking me this?

yes, it was meant as a hint, your original expression seems a mess indeed, just do only the term [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}[/itex] of the laplacian and you see easily that it contributes [itex]2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)[/itex]

Likes davidbenari
Oh! What a dope am I. Thanks hehe!

Wait, sorry. But those terms are divided by (e.g. the x term) ##x^2## So I would get in total that ##(x^2+y^2+z^2)\nabla^2 (\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z))=2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)(x^-2+y^-2+z^-2)(x^2+y^2+z^2)##

yes, expand it, one term of the expansion will be (for x^-2) [itex]2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)(1+\frac{y^2+z^2}{x^2})[/itex]. Now you can see that for example that [itex]\frac{y^2}{x^2}2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)[/itex] is zero .

Likes davidbenari
Thanks Delta^2 I think I've got it now.

Related to Proving some Dirac-Delta identity that uses Laplacian

1. What is a Dirac-Delta identity?

A Dirac-Delta identity is a mathematical expression that involves the Dirac delta function, which is a generalized function used in mathematical analysis. It is often used to represent a point mass or to describe a concentration of mass or charge at a single point in space.

2. What is the Laplacian operator and how is it related to Dirac-Delta identities?

The Laplacian operator is a differential operator that is used to measure the curvature or the rate of change of a function. It is often used in conjunction with Dirac-Delta identities to prove mathematical identities involving the Dirac delta function.

3. How are Dirac-Delta identities useful in scientific research?

Dirac-Delta identities are useful in scientific research because they allow scientists to model and study phenomena that involve point masses or point concentrations of mass or charge. This can include areas such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. Can you provide an example of a Dirac-Delta identity that uses Laplacian?

One example of a Dirac-Delta identity that uses Laplacian is the Poisson formula, which states that the value of a harmonic function at a point inside a domain is equal to the average of its values on the boundary of the domain. This formula uses the Laplacian operator and Dirac-Delta identities to prove its validity.

5. What are some common techniques used to prove Dirac-Delta identities that involve Laplacian?

There are several common techniques used to prove Dirac-Delta identities that involve Laplacian, including integration by parts, the use of Green's functions, and the use of Fourier transforms. These techniques allow for the manipulation and simplification of the Dirac-Delta identities to prove their validity.