Proving Series Convergence: \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n}

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the convergence of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n} using the comparison test. The attempt at a solution involves rationalizing the numerator and then finding a series to compare to. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the inequality \sqrt{n+1}\ \ > \sqrt{n} to find a suitable comparison series.
analysis001

Homework Statement

Prove that the series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n}[/itex] converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm going to use the comparison test but I'm having trouble coming up with a series to compare it to. Any clues would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
analysis001 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n}[/itex] converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm going to use the comparison test but I'm having trouble coming up with a series to compare it to. Any clues would be great. Thanks!
Try rationalizing the numerator.

SammyS said:
Try rationalizing the numerator.

Yeah, I've gotten to that point, so as of now I have: [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n})}[/itex] but I'm still not sure what to compare it to.

analysis001 said:
Yeah, I've gotten to that point, so as of now I have: [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n})}[/itex] but I'm still not sure what to compare it to.
Let's see ...

## \sqrt{n+1}\ \ > \sqrt{n} ##

How can that help ?

Likes 1 person

Related to Proving Series Convergence: \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n}

1. What is the formula for the given series?

The given series is \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n}.

2. How do you prove the convergence of a series?

To prove the convergence of a series, one can use various methods such as the comparison test, ratio test, root test, integral test, or the limit comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series and using the properties of the known series to determine the convergence of the given series.

3. What is the comparison test?

The comparison test is a method used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known series. If the given series is less than or equal to a known convergent series, then the given series is also convergent. If the given series is greater than or equal to a known divergent series, then the given series is also divergent.

4. How do you apply the comparison test to the given series?

To apply the comparison test to the given series, we can compare it to the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}. Since \frac{\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}}{n} is always less than or equal to \frac{1}{n}, we can conclude that the given series is convergent as it is bounded by a known convergent series.

5. Can the given series be proven to be convergent using other tests?

Yes, the given series can also be proven to be convergent using the root test or the integral test. However, the comparison test is the most efficient method in this case as it requires the least amount of work.