Proving roots using mean value theorem

In summary: So, in summary, to prove that x^4 + 4x + c = 0 has at most two real roots, we can assume that it has three real roots and look for a contradiction. Using the Mean Value Theorem, we can show that there must be at least two points where the derivative is zero, but we have shown that there is only one such point. This contradicts our assumption that there are three distinct roots, therefore proving that the original equation has at most two real roots.
Jeff Ford
Prove [tex] x^4 + 4x + c = 0 [/tex] has at most two real roots

My thinking is that to prove this I would assume that it has three real roots and look for a contradiction.

So I set [tex] f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c [/tex] and assume three real roots [tex] x_1, x_2, x_3 [/tex] such that [tex] f(x_1) = f(x_2) = f(x_3) = 0 [/tex]

By MVT I know that there must exist [tex] c_1 [/tex] on the interval [tex] (x_1, x_2) [/tex] such that [tex] f'(c_1) = 0 [/tex] and [tex] c_2 [/tex] on the interval [tex] (x_2, x_3) [/tex] such that [tex] f'(c_2) = 0 [/tex] and [tex] c_3 [/tex] on the interval [tex] (x_1, x_3) [/tex] such that [tex] f'(c_3) = 0 [/tex]

Now I'm a little confused. Do I try to find three values of c that will satisfy [tex] f'(x) = 4x^3 + 4 = 0 [/tex]? Only the value x = -1 would make this true, so is that my contradiction? That MVT predicts three values and only one exists?

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
How many STATIONARY points does the function have?

Only one, at (-1, 5+c). Since the derivative is negative to the left of that point and positive to the right, it must be a minimum of the function.

Last edited:
I assume you orden x1 < x2 < x3. It could be the case that f'(c3) equals f'(c1) or f'(c2), so according to the MVT you'll get at least 2 points where f' is zero. You've shown there's only one, so the assumption of three distinct roots is false. Not sure why you want to find particular values of c to make f' zero. The value of c is irrelevant to the problem.

Thanks for the clarification

Related to Proving roots using mean value theorem

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used to prove roots?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove the existence of roots for a function by showing that there exists a point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to zero, indicating that the function crosses the x-axis at that point and therefore has a root.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If these conditions are not met, the theorem cannot be used to prove roots.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Mean Value Theorem to prove roots?

Yes, the Mean Value Theorem can only prove the existence of roots, it cannot determine the exact value of the root. Additionally, the theorem can only be applied to one-dimensional functions and may not be applicable to multivariable functions.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used to prove all roots of a function?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be used to prove the existence of roots within a specific interval. It cannot be used to prove all roots of a function as there may be roots outside of the interval being considered.