Proving Polynomial Proofs: Using the Expansion Method

Now use the fact that x is a factor of f(x).In summary, we are trying to prove that if f(a) = 0, then (x-a) is a factor of f(x). To do this, we consider p(x) = f(x+a) and show that x is a factor of p(x) by using the fact that x is a factor of f(x). This is because p(x) = f(x+a) = f(x+a) - f(a) = xh(x) (since f(a) = 0), which means that x is a factor of p(x).
courtrigrad
If [tex] n \geq 1 [/tex] and [tex] f(a) = 0 [/tex] for some real a , then [tex] f(x) = (x-a)h(x) [/tex], where h is a polynomial of degree [tex] n-1 [/tex]. So:

[tex] f(a) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} c_{k}a^{k} = c_{0} + c_{1}a + c_{2}a^{2} + ... + c_{n}a^{n} = 0 [/tex]. In a hint it says to consider [tex] p(x) = f(x+a) [/tex]. So I expanded that and got: [tex] c_{0}+c_{1}(x+a)+c_{2}(x+a)^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n} [/tex]. So how do I use this to prove the above statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there exists a polynomial h(x) such that f(x) = (x-a)h(x), we say that (x-a) is a factor of f(x). In general, if f(x) and g(x) are any two polynomials, then if there exists h(x) such that f(x) = g(x)h(x), we say that g(x) is a factor of f(x). So the problem asks you to prove that if f(a) = 0, then (x-a) is a factor of f(x). Do you see that it suffices to prove that x is a factor of p(x), given that p(x) is defined as f(x+a)?

Well you know that f(a) = 0, which gives:

[tex]c_{0} + c_{1}a + c_{2}a^{2} + ... + c_{n}a^{n} = 0 [/tex]

And you've written out p(x) as:

[tex] c_{0}+c_{1}(x+a)+c_{2}(x+a)^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n} [/tex]

Can you put these two facts together to show that x divides p(x), i.e. that x is a factor of p(x)?

Well [tex] c_{0}+c_{1}(x+a)+c_{2}(x+a)^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n} = c_{0} + c_{1}x+c_{1}a + c_{2}x^{2} + 2c_{2}xa + c_{2}a^{2} + ... + c_{n}(x+a)^{n}[/tex]. I know that we can factor out the [tex] f(a) [/tex] and set it equal to 0. But then what is the new expression. Also could you explain why it suffices to prove that x is a factor of [tex] p(x) [/tex] if [tex] p(x) = f(x+a) [/tex]?

Thanks

You want to show that (x-a) is a factor of f(x). Do you see how this is related to showing that x is a factor of p(x)=f(x+a)? Or perhaps showing that t is a factor of f(t+a)?

When I first looked at this, I didn't understand it either. But after some deep thinking, it started making sense.

If (x - a) is a factor of f(x), the x is a factor of p(x). Why? Because if we assume that f(x) = (x - a) h(x) for some h(x), then p(x) = f(x + a) = (x + a - a)h(x) = x h(x).

Do you understand now?

I'll give you a hint to prove that x is a factor of p(x): p(x) = f(x + a) = f(x + a) - f(a) since f(a) = 0.

Related to Proving Polynomial Proofs: Using the Expansion Method

1. How do you use the expansion method to prove a polynomial?

To use the expansion method, you first need to expand the polynomial expression using the distributive property. Then, you simplify the expanded expression by combining like terms and rearranging the terms in descending order. Finally, you compare the expanded expression to the original polynomial to show that they are equivalent.

2. Can the expansion method be used for all types of polynomials?

Yes, the expansion method can be used for all types of polynomials, including linear, quadratic, and higher degree polynomials.

3. How do you know if the expansion method has been successful in proving a polynomial?

If the expanded expression is equivalent to the original polynomial, then the expansion method has been successful in proving the polynomial.

4. Are there any limitations to using the expansion method for polynomial proofs?

The expansion method may become tedious and time-consuming for polynomials with a high degree or a large number of terms. In these cases, alternative methods such as mathematical induction may be more efficient.

5. Can the expansion method be used to prove identities or equations involving polynomials?

Yes, the expansion method can be used to prove identities or equations involving polynomials. The same steps of expanding, simplifying, and comparing the expressions can be applied to prove the validity of the identity or equation.