Proving Normal Subgroups in Factor Groups: G and K

In summary, Homework Equations provides a definition of a subgroup, K'/H, and shows that it is isomorphic to K.
lmedin02

Homework Statement

Let G be a group, and let H be a normal subgroup of G. Must show that every subgroup K' of the factor group G/H has the form K'=K/H, where K is a subgroup of G that contains H.

Homework Equations

I don't see how to get started.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote down the definitions of each factor group, G/H and K/H. If K'=K/H, then H must be normal in K.

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove this fact I tried to show that K' is contain in K/H for some subgroup H in G and vice versa.

It might help thinking of this problem with the natural homomorphis, g: G -> G/H. From this you can show that for any subgroup of K' of G/H, g^-1(K') is a subgroup of G, containing K. Then maybe an isomorphism theorem jumps at you after that?

Note: g^-1(K') is the pre-image of g, ie; g^-1(K') = { a in G | g(a) is in K' }

I created an example where this theorem holds and observe that K must be defined as the set containing all elements in each element of K' (i.e., in each coset of G/H that is contain in K'). With this choice of K, the theorem works. I am now having alittle trouble justifying that K is indeed a subgroup.

Well, this was what I was trying to say:

Let H be a normal subgroup of G. Let g: G -> G/H. Let K' be a subgroup of G/K. We claim that g^-1(K') = { a in G | g(a) is in K' } forms a subgroup in G, which contains H (and actually we claim to show, later that this is the subgroup we wish to find).

K = g^-1(K') is a subgroup of G:

K is not empty, and contains H: In fact, H (which is not empty) is a subset of G, since for any h in H, g(a) = hH = eH (the identity element in G/H, which is clearly an element of K' since K' is a group).

K is closed: let a, b be in K, then g(a) is in K', and g(b) is in K', so g(ab) = g(a)g(b) is in K' since K' is a group.

K contains inverses: let a be in K, then g(a) is in K', so g(a)^-1 = g(a^-1) is in K', so a^-1 is in K.

Ok, so now we show there is an isomorphism between K/H and K'. But this should be clear to you since H is the kernel of the map of g.

So as we've shown, for each K' a subgroup of G/H is isomorphic to a subgroup K/H, K a subgroup of G.

I got it, thank you. I did not consider defining this mapping. It follows by closure that g is a homomorphism and that the Kernel of g is normal to K. Then by the first isomorphism theorem it follows that the factor group K/(ker g) is isomorphic to K'.

Related to Proving Normal Subgroups in Factor Groups: G and K

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group G that is invariant under conjugation, meaning that for any element g in G and any element k in the subgroup, the element gkg^-1 is also in the subgroup.

2. How do you prove that a subgroup K is normal in a group G?

To prove that a subgroup K is normal in a group G, you must show that for any element g in G and any element k in K, the element gkg^-1 is also in K. This can be done by directly showing this property for each element in K, or by using the subgroup test which states that if every right coset of K is equal to its corresponding left coset, then K is normal in G.

3. What is a factor group?

A factor group, also known as a quotient group, is a group formed by taking a group G and "factoring out" a normal subgroup K. The elements of the factor group are the cosets of K in G, and the group operation is defined as the coset multiplication.

4. How do you prove that a subgroup K is normal in a factor group G/K?

To prove that a subgroup K is normal in a factor group G/K, you must show that for any element gK in G/K and any element k in K, the element gKkg^-1 is also in G/K. This can be done by using the coset multiplication and showing that the result is still an element of the factor group G/K.

5. What is the significance of proving normal subgroups in factor groups?

Proving normal subgroups in factor groups is important because it allows us to understand the structure of groups and the relationships between different subgroups. It also helps us to identify and classify groups by their normal subgroups, and can be used in various applications in mathematics and science.