Proving no primitive root mod mn, where m&n prime

In summary, the set of units mod mn has no primitive root because for any unit a, a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 = 1 (mod mn).
razmtaz

Homework Statement

if m, n are distinct odd primes, show that the set of units mod mn has no primitive root.

Homework Equations

[ hint: phi(mn) = (m-1)(n-1) so we can show for a, a unit mod mn, a((m-1)(n-1))/2 = 1
]
and a [itex]\equiv[/itex] b mod mn iff a[itex]\equiv[/itex] b mod m and a [itex]\equiv[/itex] b mod n

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start with this one. I am thinking its fairly fundamental to understanding congruence classes and such, but the hint is throwing me off. In particular how can I show that for a unit a, a((m-1)(n-1))/2 = 1 ?after that, I know that a is a primitive root mod m if ord(a) = phi(m). this would give a(m-1)(n-1) = 1. If I could get to the point in the hint, then I would have a contradiction here and could conclude that there is no primitive root mod mn. So (assuming this is the correct approach) how can I get to a((m-1)(n-1))/2 = 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

To show that for a unit a, a((m-1)(n-1))/2 = 1, we can use the fact that a is a unit mod mn, which means that it has an inverse mod mn. This inverse can be written as a' = a^-1 (mod mn). Therefore, we have:

aa' = 1 (mod mn)

Multiplying both sides by a^(m-1)(n-1)/2, we get:

a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 * aa' = a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 (mod mn)

Using the property of congruence classes mentioned in the hint, we can write this as:

a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 * a (mod m) * a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 * a (mod n) = a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 (mod mn)

Since m and n are distinct odd primes, we know that (m-1)(n-1)/2 is an integer. This means that we can apply Euler's theorem, which states that a^(phi(m)) = 1 (mod m) and a^(phi(n)) = 1 (mod n). Therefore, we have:

a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 (mod m) = 1 (mod m) and a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 (mod n) = 1 (mod n)

Substituting these into the previous equation, we get:

1 * 1 (mod m) * 1 * 1 (mod n) = a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 (mod mn)

This simplifies to:

a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 = 1 (mod mn)

Which is what we wanted to show. This means that for any unit a, a^(m-1)(n-1)/2 = 1 (mod mn), and therefore, there can be no primitive root mod mn.

Related to Proving no primitive root mod mn, where m&n prime

1. How do you define a primitive root?

A primitive root of a prime number p is an integer r such that every integer coprime to p can be expressed as a power of r modulo p. In other words, the powers of r cover all the possible non-zero residues modulo p.

2. Why is it important to prove the non-existence of primitive roots?

Proving the non-existence of primitive roots for a given prime number helps in understanding the algebraic structure of the number field. It also has applications in cryptography, number theory, and other fields of mathematics.

3. What is the significance of m and n being prime numbers in this context?

The requirement for m and n to be prime numbers is necessary for the proof to hold. If m and n are not prime, then there exist integers that are not coprime to both m and n, making the definition of a primitive root invalid.

4. Can there be multiple primitive roots mod mn?

No, there can only be one primitive root mod mn. This is because if there were two distinct primitive roots, say r and s, then rs would also be a primitive root, contradicting the definition of a primitive root.

5. What is the general approach to proving the non-existence of primitive roots mod mn?

The general approach is to use the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which states that if a number r is a primitive root mod m and n, then it is also a primitive root mod mn. Therefore, to prove the non-existence of primitive roots, we can look for a contradiction in the form of two distinct primitive roots mod m and n, which cannot exist as shown in the previous question.