Proving N is a Normal Subgroup of G

In summary: I also agree that this seems to be a simpler approach.In summary, a normal subgroup N of a group G is a subset of G such that aNa^-1 is also a subset of N for all elements a in G. To prove that this is true, it must be shown that N is a subset of aNa^-1 for all elements a in G. This can be done by picking an arbitrary element x in N and finding some element y in N such that x = aya^-1, thus proving that N is a subset of aNa^-1.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

N is a normal subgroup of G if aNa^-1 is a subset of N for all elements a contained in G. Prove that in that case aNa^-1 = N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given: N is a normal subgroup of G if aNa^-1 is a subset of N for all elements a contained in G. Assume, aNa^-1 = {ana^-1|element n in N}.
By definition of a normal subgroup, aN is a subgroup of Na for all elements a in G. Then aNa^-1 is a subgroup of Naa^-1 and is = N. And a^-1Na is a subgroup of aNa^-1 and is = N for all elements a in G, when Na= a(a^-1N)a is a subgroup of a(Na^-1)a = aN.

Is this approach correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Justabeginner said:

Homework Statement

N is a normal subgroup of G if aNa^-1 is a subset of N for all elements a contained in G. Prove that in that case aNa^-1 = N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given: N is a normal subgroup of G if aNa^-1 is a subset of N for all elements a contained in G. Assume, aNa^-1 = {ana^-1|element n in N}.
By definition of a normal subgroup, aN is a subgroup of Na for all elements a in G.
No, ##aN## and ##Na## are not groups at all unless ##a \in N##. If ##N \unlhd G## then it is true that ##aN = Na## (i.e. there is no distinction between left and right cosets). But this is not the usual definition of a normal subgroup.

Indeed, the definition given in your problem statement is that ##N \unlhd G## if and only if ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## for all ##a \in G##. The goal is to prove that this implies that ##aNa^{-1} = N## for all ##a \in G##. You can do this without mentioning cosets at all.

Hint: ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## if and only if ##N \subseteq a^{-1}Na##.

jbunniii said:
No, ##aN## and ##Na## are not groups at all unless ##a \in N##. If ##N \unlhd G## then it is true that ##aN = Na## (i.e. there is no distinction between left and right cosets). But this is not the usual definition of a normal subgroup.

Indeed, the definition given in your problem statement is that ##N \unlhd G## if and only if ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## for all ##a \in G##. The goal is to prove that this implies that ##aNa^{-1} = N## for all ##a \in G##. You can do this without mentioning cosets at all.

Hint: ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## if and only if ##N \subseteq a^{-1}Na##.

So if, aNa^-1 is a subset of N if and only if N is a subset of a^-1Na, then element a is contained in N. Then, aNa^-1= N for all elements a in G.

Justabeginner said:
So if, aNa^-1 is a subset of N if and only if N is a subset of a^-1Na, then element a is contained in N.
No, you cannot conclude that ##a \in N##. Indeed, ##a## is an arbitrary element of ##G##.

jbunniii said:
No, you cannot conclude that ##a \in N##. Indeed, ##a## is an arbitrary element of ##G##.

So if my conclusion is that elements a are present in G, and aNa^-1 = N for all elements a in G, this proves that N is a normal subgroup of G.

(I realize how I cannot say that element a is contained in N now).

Justabeginner said:
So if my conclusion is that elements a are present in G, and aNa^-1 = N for all elements a in G, this proves that N is a normal subgroup of G.
The definition in your problem statement is that ##N \unlhd G## provided that ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## for all ##a\in G##.

The goal is to conclude the apparently stronger statement that if ##N \unlhd G##, then in fact we must have equality: ##aNa^{-1} = N## for all ##a \in G##. Since this is an equality of sets, the usual way to prove it is to prove containment in both directions, namely ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## and ##N \subseteq aNa^{-1}##. The first containment is given (definition of normality), so you just need to prove the second one.

Try thinking about my hint some more: ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## if and only if ##N \subseteq a^{-1}Na##

jbunniii said:
The definition in your problem statement is that ##N \unlhd G## provided that ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## for all ##a\in G##.

The goal is to conclude the apparently stronger statement that if ##N \unlhd G##, then in fact we must have equality: ##aNa^{-1} = N## for all ##a \in G##. Since this is an equality of sets, the usual way to prove it is to prove containment in both directions, namely ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## and ##N \subseteq aNa^{-1}##. The first containment is given (definition of normality), so you just need to prove the second one.

Try thinking about my hint some more: ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## if and only if ##N \subseteq a^{-1}Na##

To give a further hint. If you want to prove an inclusion such as ##N\subseteq aNa^{-1}##, you should always do the following; pick an arbitrary element ##x\in N## (so the only thing you know about ##x## is that it is in ##N##). You must proe that ##x\in aNa^{-1}##. In other words, you must find some ##y\in N## such that ##x=aya^{-1}##.

(Yes, jbunniii, I know this is not the approach you had in mind, but I think this seems simpler)

micromass said:
(Yes, jbunniii, I know this is not the approach you had in mind, but I think this seems simpler)
No problem, any proof is fine as long as it correct and (most importantly) Justabeginner understands it. I don't care if it's my proof or not. :smile:

jbunniii said:
No problem, any proof is fine as long as it correct and (most importantly) Justabeginner understands it. I don't care if it's my proof or not. :smile:

Your method is still important though, so be sure to give it after he finds the proof himself.

micromass said:
To give a further hint. If you want to prove an inclusion such as ##N\subseteq aNa^{-1}##, you should always do the following; pick an arbitrary element ##x\in N## (so the only thing you know about ##x## is that it is in ##N##). You must proe that ##x\in aNa^{-1}##. In other words, you must find some ##y\in N## such that ##x=aya^{-1}##.

Thank you both for the techniques.

So suppose element x is in N, where x=aya^-1, then aya^-1 is contained in N. So, y is contained in a^-1Na and therefore if a^-1xa is contained in a^-1Na as well, x is contained in a^-1Na?

Justabeginner said:
Thank you both for the techniques.

So suppose element x is in N, where x=aya^-1
How do you know that you can write ##x## in the form ##aya^{-1}##? It is true, but you haven't shown why.

May I suggest instead starting as follows: ##x \in N##, and ##N## is a normal subgroup. Therefore, given any ##g \in G##, what can you say about ##gxg^{-1}##?

If element x is in N, and N is a normal subgroup of G, given any element g in G, gxg^-1 must also be in G.

Edit: gxg^-1 has to be in N too, because x is in N.

Last edited:
Justabeginner said:
If element x is in N, and N is a normal subgroup of G, given any element g in G, gxg^-1 must also be in G.

Good. So what if we know define ##y## as ##axa^{-1}##?

Justabeginner said:
Small correction: "must also be in N."

micromass said:
Good. So what if we know define ##y## as ##axa^{-1}##?

Now, if element y is contained in N, and y= axa^-1 then axa^-1 is also contained in N. If axa^-1 is in N and N is a subgroup of G, then axa^-1 is also in G, so a is in G.

Justabeginner said:
Now, if element y is contained in N, and y= axa^-1 then axa^-1 is also contained in N. If axa^-1 is in N and N is a subgroup of G, then axa^-1 is also in G, so a is in G.

So we have the following:

1) We know that ##y = axa^{-1}## by definition.
2) We know that ##aNa^{-1} \subseteq N## since ##N## is normal by hypothesis.
3) We know that ##x\in N##

Can you use this to establish the following facts:

4) ##x = aya^{-1}##
5) ##y\in N##

Finally, can you use those 5 facts to establish that ##x\in aNa^{-1}##?

micromass said:

4) ##x = aya^{-1}##
5) ##y\in N##

Finally, can you use those 5 facts to establish that ##x\in aNa^{-1}##?

By multiplication, x=a^-1ya. Since x is in N, and x=a^-1ya, y is also in N. If y is in N, then a^-1xa is in N, and x is in aNa^-1.

Last edited:
micromass said:

4) ##x = aya^{-1}##
Shouldn't that be ##x = a^{-1}ya##?

jbunniii said:
Shouldn't that be ##x = a^{-1}ya##?

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

micromass said:
Yes, sorry for the confusion.

I forgot to put them on the correct side when I multiplied.
Is the flow of my statements right?

Related to Proving N is a Normal Subgroup of G

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that for any element in the larger group, the normal subgroup will remain unchanged when that element is multiplied on the left and the right.

2. How do you prove that N is a normal subgroup of G?

To prove that N is a normal subgroup of G, we need to show that for every element g in G and every element n in N, the conjugate gng-1 is also in N. This can be done by showing that N is closed under conjugation, meaning that gng-1 is an element of N for all g and n.

3. What is the significance of having a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is significant because it allows us to define a quotient group, which is formed by the cosets of the normal subgroup. Quotient groups are important in many areas of mathematics, including group theory and abstract algebra.

4. Can a subgroup be normal in one group but not in another?

Yes, a subgroup can be normal in one group but not in another. The property of being a normal subgroup is dependent on the larger group, so a subgroup may be normal in one group but not in a different group.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that a subgroup is normal?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that a subgroup is normal. One method is to show that the index of the subgroup is equal to the order of the quotient group. Another method is to use the normalizer subgroup, which is the largest subgroup of the larger group that contains the given subgroup and is normal in the larger group.