Proving Monotonicity for Logarithmic and Fractional Functions?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubts
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: 1) proving that log(1+x) < x for x>0, and 2) determining whether the function f(x) = {x}, where {.} denotes the fractional part of x, is increasing on the interval [5,6]. The conversation includes various opinions and explanations, ultimately leading to the conclusion that the function is increasing on the interval (5,6) but not on [5,6]. The definition of the fractional part function is also provided.
zorro

Homework Statement

I have 2 questions-
1) If x>0, show that log(1+x) < x
2) Is the function f(x) = {x} where {.} denotes fractional part of x increasing on [5,6] ?

A1) My book says that we have to construct a function f(x) = x-log(1+x) ans show that it is increasing and f(0)=0 or positive.
I understand the first point but don't get the second. Why should we prove that f(0) >= 0 ?
0 doesnot even lie in the interval (given in question x>0)

A2) Here f(x) is strictly increasing from [5,6), at x=6, function is not continuous and hence derivative doesnot exist.
So the function is not increasing on [5,6] but on [5,6). Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some one help!

Let f(x) = x-log(1+x)

The way I see it you have to show that f(0)=0 or positive because you are told to prove that for x>0, show that log(1+x) < x . This should certainly hold true for x very very close to 0.

A2) Here f(x) is strictly increasing from [5,6), at x=6, function is not continuous and hence derivative doesnot exist.
So the function is not increasing on [5,6] but on [5,6). Is it correct?

What do you mean by fractional ? Do you mean decimal portion of the number ?

Either way your resononing is not correct.

The function is actually increase.

Consider the function x-5

f(x)= {x} = x-5 on [5,6)

This function is continuous and has a nice continuous derievative and is strictly increasing on [5, 6).

Last edited:
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Let f(x) = x-log(1+x)

What do you mean by fractional ? Do you mean decimal portion of the number ?

Either way your resononing is not correct.

The function is actually increase.

Consider the function x-5

f(x)= {x} = x-5 on [5,6)

This function is continuous and has a nice continuous derievative and is strictly increasing on [5, 6).

The answer given is that it increases on the interval (5,6) and not [5,6)

I am not sure why that is. Did you copy down the problem correctly?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I am not sure why that is. Did you copy down the problem correctly?

Yes. I rechecked it.

Well it makes sense. Since f ' is defined of (5, 6) and since we do not "know" the values of f before 5 we cannot talk about it increasing. Actually we know the values or f before 5 and it turns out that at x=5 the function is actually decreasing since you have points like 4. 9991.., 4. 999999997... etc.

I was not careful in my thinking.

f ' is defined on [5,6)
I don't understand what you mean by not knowing the values of f before 5. Why do we need to consider them? We don't find whether a function is decreasing /increasing at a point, how did you infer that the function decreases at x=5?

Can you define "fractional part" for me?

Then for (2), it is correct that the function increases on [5,6[, but not when you add 6 to that interval...

So you mean the answer given ]5,6[ is wrong?

I think so, yes...

Ok.
Thank you so much!

Related to Proving Monotonicity for Logarithmic and Fractional Functions?

1. What is monotonicity and why is it important in science?

Monotonicity refers to the property of a function or relationship where the output consistently increases or decreases as the input increases. In science, monotonicity is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the direction and magnitude of change in variables. It also helps us identify trends and patterns in data.

2. How do you test for monotonicity in a dataset?

There are several methods for testing monotonicity in a dataset, such as visually inspecting a scatter plot, using correlation coefficients, or conducting statistical tests like the Spearman's rank correlation coefficient or the Mann-Kendall trend test. These methods can help determine if there is a monotonic relationship between two variables.

3. Can a monotonic relationship be nonlinear?

Yes, a monotonic relationship can be nonlinear. A relationship can be monotonic as long as the direction of change in the variables is consistent, regardless of the shape of the curve. For example, a U-shaped or inverted U-shaped curve can still exhibit monotonicity if the overall trend is increasing or decreasing.

4. What is the difference between monotonicity and linearity?

Monotonicity refers to the direction and consistency of change in a relationship, while linearity refers to the shape of the relationship. A monotonic relationship can be linear, meaning it follows a straight line, but it can also be nonlinear. On the other hand, a linear relationship can be monotonic or non-monotonic, as long as it follows a straight line.

5. How does monotonicity relate to causation?

Monotonicity does not necessarily imply causation. Just because two variables have a monotonic relationship does not mean that one causes the other. There may be other factors at play that influence the observed trend. Other methods, such as controlled experiments, are needed to establish causation in scientific research.