Proving Missile Collision Conditions for Target Hit

In summary, the given set of displacement equations and requirements for the collision of the missile and target lead to the condition that u^2 must be greater than or equal to v^2 + 2gh for the collision to occur.
danago
Gold Member
A missile is fired at a target from the origin O, with the velocity vector, t seconds after it was fired, given by [itex]\overrightarrow v (t) = [u\cos \theta ]\overrightarrow i + [u\sin \theta - gt]\overrightarrow j[/itex], where u, theta and g are constants. The target is moving with velocity [itex]v\overrightarrow i[/itex] and at the instant the missile is fired, the target is at position [itex]h\overrightarrow j[/itex].

Prove that for the missile to hit the target [itex]u^2 \ge v^2 + 2gh[/itex]

Alright, from the information given, I've come up with the following set of displacement equations:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\overrightarrow r _{missile} (t) = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{ut\cos \theta } \\
{ut\sin \theta - 0.5gt^2 } \\
\end{array}} \right) \\
\overrightarrow r _{t\arg et} (t) = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{vt} \\
h \\
\end{array}} \right) \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

For the missile to hit the target, both components of the motion must be equal for the same value of t; that is:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
ut\cos \theta = vt \\
ut\sin \theta - 0.5gt^2 = h \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Now, the first equation is only true for t=0, unless [itex]u\cos \theta = v[/itex], which i interpreted as a requirement for the collision to occur. From the second equation, the time when the vertical components of displacement are equal is give by:

[tex]
t = \frac{{u\sin \theta \mp \sqrt {u^2 \sin ^2 \theta - 2gh} }}{g}
[/tex]

Now its here where I am not really sure what to do. A hint would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, the second i posted this i realized what to do. Since [itex]u\cos \theta = v[/itex], it can be shown that [itex]\sin \theta = \frac{{\sqrt {u^2 - v^2 } }}{u}[/itex], and then i just sub that into the quadratic discriminant and then set it to be greater than or equal to zero. Sound right?

Thanks anyway :P

Related to Proving Missile Collision Conditions for Target Hit

1. How do you prove that a missile has successfully hit its target?

To prove that a missile has hit its target, we first need to review the evidence from various sources such as video footage, radar data, and eyewitness accounts. We also need to analyze the missile's trajectory and compare it to the expected flight path. Additionally, we can conduct physical inspections of the target to look for any damage or residue from the missile.

2. What are the key factors that determine a successful missile collision?

The key factors that determine a successful missile collision are accuracy, speed, and angle of impact. The missile needs to be on the correct trajectory, with the right amount of speed and angle, to hit the target accurately. Any deviation from these factors can result in a missed target.

3. What are some techniques used to analyze missile collision conditions?

There are various techniques used to analyze missile collision conditions, including computer simulations, wind tunnel testing, and real-world experiments. These methods allow scientists to study the effects of different variables, such as speed, angle, and environmental factors, on the missile's collision with the target.

4. Can missile collision conditions be accurately predicted?

Yes, with advanced technology and precise calculations, scientists can accurately predict missile collision conditions. However, there are always factors that can affect the outcome, such as unexpected weather conditions or malfunctions in the missile. Therefore, it is essential to continually monitor and adjust the predictions as needed.

5. How does proving missile collision conditions for target hit contribute to missile defense systems?

Proving missile collision conditions for target hit is crucial for the development and improvement of missile defense systems. By understanding the precise conditions required for a successful collision, scientists can design more effective defense systems to intercept and destroy incoming missiles. This knowledge also allows for better training and preparation of military personnel in charge of operating these systems.