Proving Logarithmic Rule: log_a(x^k)=klog_ax

• Thread starter Hypochondriac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the proof for the logarithm rule loga(x^k) = k loga(x) can be done by using the definition of logarithms and the anti-log function, without directly invoking the rule itself. This approach is more general and does not rely on the rule being proven.
Hypochondriac
prove:
[tex]log_a(x^k)=klog_ax[/tex]

i can do the addition and subtraction rules no problem, but for some reason I'm stuggling with this one,
just point me in the right direction, or help with the whole thing I'm not bothered, i just hope it aint in my exam tomorrow lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one way of doing it is to write log(x^k) as log(x.x.x...x) [where there are k x's in the argument of the logarithm]. Then invoke the rule log(ab)=log(a)+log(b). Of course this only works for positive integers!

A better proof is to let y=log_a(x), so that a^y=x. Then x^k=(a^y)^k=a^(yk). Hence, log_a(x^k)=ky=k log_a(x).

thanks
but to get from x^k = a^(yk)
to log_a(x^k) = ky

you would need to go via the rule I'm trying to prove
ie log_a(x^k) = log_a(a^ky) = ky log_a(a) = 1ky
so i didnt know if that was a feasible move

No, you do not have to use the log rule that you are trying to prove to continue...

You want to prove: loga xk = k loga x

Proof:

(1) First, let y = loga x

(2) Rewite (1) in exponential form using anti-log: ay = x

(3) Next, add exponent k to both side and we have: ayk = xk

(4) Now you "log" both side to have: loga ayk = loga xk

(by logging both side you do not use the log rule you are trying to prove)​

(5) but we know the log rule said: logaayk = yk

(6) so (4) becomes: yk = loga xk

(7) but (1) said y = loga x

(8) so (6) becomes (loga x ) (k) = loga xk

(9) Re-arrange the left, we have: k loga x = loga xk

(10) Proof complete QED

Related to Proving Logarithmic Rule: log_a(x^k)=klog_ax

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is an operation in mathematics that is used to solve exponential equations. It is the inverse operation of exponentiation and is denoted by "log".

2. What is the logarithmic rule for exponents?

The logarithmic rule for exponents states that loga(xk) = kloga(x), where a is the base, x is the value, and k is the exponent.

3. How is the logarithmic rule for exponents proven?

The logarithmic rule for exponents can be proven by using the definition of logarithms and the properties of exponents. It involves converting both sides of the equation into exponential form and then equating the exponents.

4. Can the logarithmic rule for exponents be applied to any base?

Yes, the logarithmic rule for exponents can be applied to any base as long as the base is greater than 0 and not equal to 1. The base can be any real number, but the most commonly used bases are 10 and e (Euler's number).

5. What is the significance of the logarithmic rule for exponents?

The logarithmic rule for exponents is useful in simplifying complex exponential expressions and solving exponential equations. It also allows for the conversion between logarithmic and exponential forms, making it a valuable tool in various fields such as mathematics, science, and finance.