Proving Logarithm Identity for Nonzero Complex Numbers

• Thread starter bigplanet401
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: This is why the Log function is multi-valued, and why we have to specify a principal branch. Essentially, the summary of this conversation is that for any two nonzero complex numbers, the logarithm of their product is equal to the sum of their individual logarithms plus 2Nπi, where N can be any integer. This is due to the multi-valued nature of the Log function and the need for a principal branch to specify a unique value.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

Show that, for any two nonzero complex numbers z_1 and z_2,
[tex]
\text{Log } (z_1 z_2) = \text{Log } z_1 + \text{Log } z_2 + 2 N \pi i \, ,
[/tex]

where N has one of the values -1, 0, 1.

Homework Equations

The logarithm on the principal branch is:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
&\text{Log } z = \ln r + i \Theta \, ,\\
\intertext{with}
&r > 0 \text{ and } -\pi < \Theta < \pi \, .
\end{align*}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing z_1 z_2 as exp(log(z_1) + log(z_2)) and taking the log that way, and I ended up getting the result above, but with N being allowed to take on any integer value. Note that
[tex]
\log z = \ln |z| + i \arg z
[/tex]

in general.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation you have for log under "attempt at a solution," because that's really the relevant equation. And don't express z1z2 as exp(log(z1) + log(z2)), express it in the form reiq.

The point with the N=1,0,-1 business is that when you add two numbers in (-pi,pi), you might not get a number in (-pi,pi), although you will get one in (-2pi,2pi). So, since adding an integer multiple of 2pi to the arg doesn't affect the result, you can either add or subtract 2pi and get back in the necessary (-pi,pi) range.

Related to Proving Logarithm Identity for Nonzero Complex Numbers

1. What is a logarithm identity?

A logarithm identity is a mathematical equation that relates logarithms of different bases. It is used to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems involving logarithms.

2. How do you prove a logarithm identity?

To prove a logarithm identity, you must show that the equation holds true for all values of the variables involved. This can be done through various techniques such as substitution, manipulation, and mathematical induction.

3. Why is it important to prove logarithm identities for nonzero complex numbers?

Proving logarithm identities for nonzero complex numbers is important because it helps us understand and solve more complex mathematical problems involving logarithms. It also allows us to extend the use of logarithm identities beyond just real numbers.

4. Can logarithm identities be derived from other mathematical principles?

Yes, logarithm identities can be derived from other mathematical principles such as the properties of exponents and the laws of logarithms. This is why it is important to have a strong understanding of these principles in order to prove logarithm identities.

5. Are there any practical applications for logarithm identities for nonzero complex numbers?

Yes, logarithm identities for nonzero complex numbers have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. They are used to model and solve various real-world problems involving exponential growth and decay.