Proving Left Inverse of Injective Function

In summary: But still you have to prove that ##g## is well-defined, i.e. that ##g(b) = a_0## does not depend on the choice of ##a_0##.In summary, A left inverse function of ##f## exists if and only if ##f## is injective. To prove this, define a function ##g : B \rightarrow A## by mapping all elements in ##B## which are not associated with any elements in ##A## by ##f## to a chosen element ##a_0 \in A##. This function is well-defined and is the desired left inverse of ##f##.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

##f : A \rightarrow B## if and only if ##\exists g : B \rightarrow A## with the property ##(g \circ f)(a) = a##, for all ##a \in A## (In other words, ##g## is the left inverse of ##f##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already prove the one direction. Now I am trying to verify that, if ##f## is injective, then there must exist a left inverse ##g##. However, I am having great difficulty in doing so. I am understand the philosophy behind it: I have to define a function ##g## so that ##(g \circ f)(a) = a## holds true. But I cannot see how to explicitly use f's injectivity to construct such a function. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

##f : A \rightarrow B## if and only if ##\exists g : B \rightarrow A## with the property ##(g \circ f)(a) = a##, for all ##a \in A## (In other words, ##g## is the left inverse of ##f##)

Do you mean "[itex]f: A \to B[/itex] is injective if and only if ..."?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already prove the one direction. Now I am trying to verify that, if ##f## is injective, then there must exist a left inverse ##g##. However, I am having great difficulty in doing so. I am understand the philosophy behind it: I have to define a function ##g## so that ##(g \circ f)(a) = a## holds true. But I cannot see how to explicitly use f's injectivity to construct such a function. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Let [itex]b \in B[/itex]. Either there exists an [itex]a \in A[/itex] such that [itex]f(a) = b[/itex] or there does not.

Suppose first that such an [itex]a[/itex] exists. Since [itex]f[/itex] is injective ...

Because ##f## is injective, then if there exists another, call it ##a' \in A##, so that ##f(a') = b##, then we can conclude ##a = a'##. Thus, ##a## is uniquely mapped to ##b##.

Actually, it appears he is trying to prove "f is bijective".

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, it appears he is trying to prove "f is bijective".

Mere injectiveity is necessary and sufficient for a left inverse to exist, which is what the OP is trying to show.

(Also, the title of the thread is "injective proof", not "bijective proof". Further, the OP didn't correct my assumption.)

Last edited:
I apologize for not responding sooner. My idea was, that if ##f(a)## is uniquely associated to ##a##, so that, if ##g## is defined to take back ##f(a)## back to ##a##, then it is a well-defined function. Isn't that right?

Bashyboy said:
I apologize for not responding sooner. My idea was, that if ##f(a)## is uniquely associated to ##a##, so that, if ##g## is defined to take back ##f(a)## back to ##a##, then it is a well-defined function. Isn't that right?

That deals with the case where [itex]b = f(a)[/itex] for some [itex]a \in A[/itex]. You have now to deal with those [itex]b \in B[/itex] for which there is no such [itex]a[/itex].

pasmith said:
That deals with the case where [itex]b = f(a)[/itex] for some [itex]a \in A[/itex]. You have now to deal with those [itex]b \in B[/itex] for which there is no such [itex]a[/itex].

Okay, I suspect that it does not matter, that if I consistently chose the same element in ##A##, say ##a_0 \in A##, then ##g## will be the function after which I am seeking. In other words, if I choose ##g## to map all of those elements ##b \in B## which are not associated with any elements in ##A## by ##f## to the element ##a_0##. In short, ##g(b) = a_0##, if there does not exist an ##a \in A## such that ##f(a) = b##.

So, does the reasoning in my last post appear correct?

Yes it does, in post #6 you have designed a left inverse function of f from ##B \rightarrow A##, that you improved in post #8 to a left inverse mapping from ##B \rightarrow A##.

Likes Bashyboy

Related to Proving Left Inverse of Injective Function

Q1: What is the definition of a left inverse of an injective function?

A left inverse of an injective function is a function that, when composed with the original function, returns the identity function. In other words, it "undoes" the original function, allowing us to retrieve the original input from the output.

Q2: Why is proving the existence of a left inverse important?

Proving the existence of a left inverse is important because it guarantees that the function is injective, meaning that each input has a unique output. It also allows us to "undo" the function and retrieve the original input, which is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

Q3: What is the process for proving the left inverse of an injective function?

The process for proving the left inverse of an injective function involves finding a function that, when composed with the original function, returns the identity function. This can be done algebraically by solving for the inverse function or by using a proof by contradiction method.

Q4: Can all injective functions have a left inverse?

No, not all injective functions have a left inverse. The function must also be surjective, meaning that every output has a corresponding input. If a function is not surjective, it will not have a left inverse.

Q5: How can proving the left inverse of an injective function be applied in real life?

Proving the left inverse of an injective function has many practical applications, such as in cryptography, data compression, and error correction. It also allows us to solve equations and systems of equations, and can be used in various engineering and scientific fields.