Proving Isomorphism of G to Subgroup of G/H + G/K

• Thread starter tyrannosaurus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the homework statement is that G is isomorphic to a subgroup of G/H + G/K. This is done by proving that the function f is a homomorphism and that kerf is trivial. The homomorphism part is done by showing that kerf={e}, which is done by showing that f is a well defined function and that kerf is trivial. The last part is that G/kerf=G, which is done by showing that the image of f is all of G/H + G/K.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

Let H and K be normal Subgroups of a group G s.t H intersect K = {e}. Show that G is isomorphic to a subgroup of G/H + G/K.

Homework Equations

G/H+G/K= direct product of G/H and G/K.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof/
Lets define are mapping f:G to G/H+G/K by f(g)=(gH,GK). Need to show that this is a homomorphism. Obviously f is a well defined function (Do I need any more explanation here?). Operation Preserving- Let x,y be elements of G. Then f(xy)= (xyH,xyK)= (xHyH,xKyK)= (xH,XK),(yH,yK)=f(x)f(y) ( I need help justifying my step on this)
Thus f is a homomorphism. Since kerf ={g element of G| (gH,gK)=(H,K)}, then ker f={e}. Thus f is injective (one to one).
So By 1st isomorphism theorem, G/Ker f is isomorphic to f(G). Since f(G) is a subgroup of G/H+G/K (since f is one to one), then G is isomorphic to a subgroup of G/H + G/K (since G/Kerf= G because kerf={e}, is this right?)
My question is for clarification, does this seem like I have proven that G is isomorphic to a subgroup of G/H + G/K, or I have I proven that G is isomorphic to G/H + G/K ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof looks good. A general rule of thumb for well-definedness is that you only need to be concerned when your domain involves picking representative elements of cosets (and then whether the function is independent of representative). In this case you're not, only the codomain involves cosets so you're OK.

For the homomorphism part, where are you stuck? Let's look at it slowly

f(xy)= (xyH,xyK) This is how f is defined

= (xHyH,xKyK) This is by definition of multiplication by cosets

= (xH,XK),(yH,yK) This is by the definition of multiplication for the product of two groups

=f(x)f(y) this is by the definition of f again

Then once you have that kerf is trivial, G/kerf = G is isomorphic to the image of f by the first isomorphism theorem. As to whether G is isomorphic to G/H + G/K, this will only be true if the image of f is all of G/H + G/K. Is this always true?

Office_Shredder said:
Your proof looks good. A general rule of thumb for well-definedness is that you only need to be concerned when your domain involves picking representative elements of cosets (and then whether the function is independent of representative). In this case you're not, only the codomain involves cosets so you're OK.

For the homomorphism part, where are you stuck? Let's look at it slowly

f(xy)= (xyH,xyK) This is how f is defined

= (xHyH,xKyK) This is by definition of multiplication by cosets

= (xH,XK),(yH,yK) This is by the definition of multiplication for the product of two groups

=f(x)f(y) this is by the definition of f again

Then once you have that kerf is trivial, G/kerf = G is isomorphic to the image of f by the first isomorphism theorem. As to whether G is isomorphic to G/H + G/K, this will only be true if the image of f is all of G/H + G/K. Is this always true?

Thanks for the help, I just needed some clarification.

Related to Proving Isomorphism of G to Subgroup of G/H + G/K

1. What is the definition of isomorphism in mathematics?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a one-to-one mapping between two mathematical structures that preserves their operations and relationships. In other words, two structures are isomorphic if they are essentially the same, just with different labels or symbols.

2. How is isomorphism related to subgroups?

In the context of group theory, isomorphism allows us to identify subgroups of a group that have the same structure as the original group. This means that the subgroup and the original group have the same elements and operations, but the elements may be labeled differently in each group.

3. What is the significance of proving isomorphism of G to a subgroup of G/H + G/K?

Proving isomorphism between G and a subgroup of G/H + G/K allows us to identify a subgroup of the quotient group (G/H + G/K) that has the same structure as the original group G. This can help us better understand the structure and properties of the original group, and also simplify calculations and proofs involving the quotient group.

4. What is the process for proving isomorphism of G to a subgroup of G/H + G/K?

To prove isomorphism, you must show that there exists a one-to-one mapping between the elements of the subgroup of G/H + G/K and the elements of G, and that this mapping preserves the operations and relationships between the elements. This can be done by defining a mapping function and showing that it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (every element in G is mapped to by an element in the subgroup).

5. Can isomorphism be proven for any group and subgroup?

No, not all groups and subgroups are isomorphic. Isomorphism depends on the structure and relationships between the elements of the group and subgroup. Some groups and subgroups may have different structures and operations, making them non-isomorphic.