Proving Integrability of Bounded Functions using Riemann Sums - Homework Help

In summary, the problem asks us to prove that a bounded function f is integrable on [a,b] by showing that the upper and lower Riemann integrals are equal. It is given that for any ε > 0, there exists a partition P such that for any refinements Q1 and Q2 of P, the difference between the sums of the function over Q1 and Q2 is less than ε. To show the integrals are equal, we need to show that the difference between the upper and lower sums is also less than ε.
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

Suppose f:[a,b] → ℜ is bounded and for each ε > 0, ∃ a partition P such that for any refinements Q1 and Q2 of P, regardless of how marked ⎟S(Q1,f) – S(Q2,f)⎟ < ε. Prove that f is integrable on [a,b].

Homework Equations

If P and Q1 and Q2 are partitions of [a, b], with P [itex]\subset[/itex] Q1, and P [itex]\subset[/itex] Q2, then Q1 and Q2 are refinements of P

∫(a to b) = sup {L(P,f)} so L(P,f) ≤ ∫(a to b)

∫(a to [itex]\overline{}b[/itex]) = inf{U(P,f)} so ∫(a to [itex]\overline{}b[/itex])≤ U(P,f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the S(Q1,f) and S(Q2,f) are squeezed between the Lower sum (P,f) and the Upper sum (P,f), and that the upper and lower Riemann integrals are less than or equal to the Upper and Lower sums. To prove f is integrable on [a,b] I have to show f is bounded, that was given, and show the upper and lower Rieman integrals are equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how to show that the Upper and Lower Riemann Integrals are equal. I know if I can show U(P,f) - L(P,f) < ε for any ε > 0, then the integrals would be equal. But how do I use the information given that S(Q1,f) – S(Q2,f) < ε, regardless of how marked?

Related to Proving Integrability of Bounded Functions using Riemann Sums - Homework Help

What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a mathematical concept used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the area into smaller, simpler shapes and adding them together.

Why are Riemann Sums important?

Riemann Sums are important because they allow us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you calculate a Riemann Sum?

To calculate a Riemann Sum, you divide the area under the curve into smaller rectangles, find the area of each rectangle, and then add them together. The more rectangles you use, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What is the difference between a left Riemann Sum and a right Riemann Sum?

The main difference between a left Riemann Sum and a right Riemann Sum is the location of the rectangles used to approximate the area under the curve. In a left Riemann Sum, the left side of each rectangle touches the curve, while in a right Riemann Sum, the right side of each rectangle touches the curve.

Can Riemann Sums be used for any shape?

No, Riemann Sums can only be used for shapes with curved boundaries, such as circles, parabolas, and exponential curves. They cannot be used for shapes with straight boundaries, such as squares or triangles.