Proving Injectivity of Shroeder-Berstein Theorem for R to R^2 x R^2

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Shroeder-Berstein Theorem to prove that ##\mathbb{R}^2 \sim \mathbb{R}##. The conversation also touches on the problem of infinite decimal expansions and how to handle them in the proof. The speaker also recommends a video that uses a similar method.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\mathbb{R}^2 \sim \mathbb{R}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We will us the Shroeder-Berstein Theorem, and start with the simpler problem of showing that ##(0,1) \sim (0,1) \times (0,1)##. Define ##f: (0,1) \rightarrow (0,1) \times (0,1)## where ##f(x) = (x, \frac{1}{2})##. This is obviously an injection. Now define ##g: (0,1) \times (0,1) \rightarrow (0,1)## where if we suppose that every real number in this interval has a non-terminating decimal representation, ##g(0.x_1x_2x_3..., 0.y_1y_2y_3...) = 0.x_1y_1x_2y_2x_3y_3...##.

I just want to make sure that I am on the right track so far. How would I show that ##g## is an injection? Also, I know that in these decimal representations, we sometimes come into problems when the expansion ends in an infinite string of 9s. Do I run into that problem here, or am I good?

Physics news on Phys.org
By ##\mathbb R\sim\mathbb R^2## do you mean 'is bijective to'? I haven't seen that symbol used to mean that before, but from the context it seems that's what's meant.

It can (and should) be proven that any number that has a dec expansion that ends in an infinite string of nines also has a terminating dec expansion (or, put differently, an expansion that ends in an infinite string of zeros).

Having proven that, we can define ##g## such that for both inputs, where the input has an infinite-nines expansion, the infinite-zeros expansion is used instead.

The standard approach to proving injectivity is to assume that ##g(a_{11},a_{12})=g(a_{21},a_{22})## where all ##a_{jk}\in\mathbb R##, and then prove that ##a_{1i}=a_{2i}## for ##i\in\{1,2\}##.

If you write ##a_{jk}=\sum_{r=1}^\infty a_{jkr} 10^{-r}## where ##a_{jkr}\in\{0,1,...,9\}## then it becomes a problem in infinite series.

andrewkirk said:
By ##\mathbb R\sim\mathbb R^2## do you mean 'is bijective to'? I haven't seen that symbol used to mean that before, but from the context it seems that's what's meant.

It can (and should) be proven that any number that has a dec expansion that ends in an infinite string of nines also has a terminating dec expansion (or, put differently, an expansion that ends in an infinite string of zeros).

Having proven that, we can define ##g## such that for both inputs, where the input has an infinite-nines expansion, the infinite-zeros expansion is used instead.

The standard approach to proving injectivity is to assume that ##g(a_{11},a_{12})=g(a_{21},a_{22})## where all ##a_{jk}\in\mathbb R##, and then prove that ##a_{1i}=a_{2i}## for ##i\in\{1,2\}##.

If you write ##a_{jk}=\sum_{r=1}^\infty a_{jkr} 10^{-r}## where ##a_{jkr}\in\{0,1,...,9\}## then it becomes a problem in infinite series.
Could I argue that two integers are equal iff their decimal representations are equal, to conclude that ##g(a,b) = g(c,d) \Longrightarrow 0.a_1b_1a_2b_2a_3b_3... = 0.c_1d_1c_2d_2c_3d_3... \Longrightarrow (a_n = c_n) \wedge (b_n = d_n) \Longrightarrow (a=c) \wedge (b=d)##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Could I argue that two integers are equal iff their decimal representations are equal
No. It's easy to prove the IF direction, but the ONLY IF direction is not valid, as the example ##1=0.\dot 9## demonstrates. The argument needs more careful tailoring. Also note that the term 'their decimal expansions' is inappropriate as it implies - incorrectly - that every number has a unique decimal expansion.

andrewkirk said:
No. It's easy to prove the IF direction, but the ONLY IF direction is not valid, as the example ##1=0.\dot 9## demonstrates. The argument needs more careful tailoring. Also note that the term 'their decimal expansions' is inappropriate as it implies - incorrectly - that every number has a unique decimal expansion.
Well if decimal representations aren't unique, how could I ever show that the function is injective?

andrewkirk said:
Also, I found this video:
And he uses the same method that I do.

Related to Proving Injectivity of Shroeder-Berstein Theorem for R to R^2 x R^2

1. What is the purpose of the "Show R^2 ~ R Homework"?

The purpose of "Show R^2 ~ R Homework" is to demonstrate the relationship between two variables, R^2 and R, in a mathematical or statistical context. This homework may involve calculating and interpreting R^2 values, graphing data, or solving equations related to these variables.

2. What is the significance of R^2 and R in statistical analysis?

R^2, also known as the coefficient of determination, is a measure of how well a regression model fits the data. It represents the proportion of the variation in the dependent variable that is explained by the independent variable(s). R, also known as the correlation coefficient, measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables. These values are important in determining the validity and strength of a statistical model.

3. What are some common methods for calculating R^2 and R?

The most common method for calculating R^2 and R is through linear regression analysis. This involves fitting a line to the data points and calculating the R^2 and R values from the resulting equation. Other methods include using statistical software or online calculators, or manually calculating the values using the formulas for R^2 and R.

4. How do R^2 and R relate to each other?

R^2 and R are closely related, as R^2 is derived from R. R represents the correlation coefficient between two variables, while R^2 is the square of R. This means that R^2 is always equal to or less than R, and the closer R^2 is to 1, the stronger the linear relationship between the variables.

5. What are some common misinterpretations of R^2 and R?

One common misinterpretation of R^2 is that it indicates the strength of the relationship between two variables, when in fact it only measures the proportion of the variation in the dependent variable that is explained by the independent variable(s). Additionally, R is often misinterpreted as indicating causation between the variables, when in reality it only measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship.