Proving Inequality for Math Students

In summary, to prove that ac < bd when 0 <= a < b and 0 <= c < d, we can use the rule that for 0 < c, a < b → ac < bc. By proving ac < bc and bc < bd separately, we can show that ac < bd.
phospho

Homework Statement

Prove

If ## 0 \leq a < b ## and ## 0 \leq c < d ## then ## ac < bd ##

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to even start on this,

was thinking if a = 0 or c = 0, then ac = 0, but bd > 0 (which is given) so bd > ac
however this seems like I'm cheating because they give you bd > ac, so I don't think it's valid

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't give you ac < bd, that is what you must show.

What you have done so far is correct but you still have to show it is true when 0 < a, 0 < c.

Hint: you were probably given the rule that, for 0 < c, a < b → ac < bc. Use it.

verty said:
They don't give you ac < bd, that is what you must show.

What you have done so far is correct but you still have to show it is true when 0 < a, 0 < c.

Hint: you were probably given the rule that, for 0 < c, a < b → ac < bc. Use it.

Yes we were given that, but I couldn't proceed how to use it. I used ac < bd to get to where I am right now.

phospho said:
I used ac < bd to get to where I am right now.

no, you can't use ac < bd !

use verty's :smile: hint

(second hint: if you could prove ac < bc, what would you still need to get ac < bd ? :wink:)

I'm sorry, I'm trying but I just don't see how to proceed.

For the proof of c>0 and a<b prove ac<bc it was very simple, all I had to use was (b-a).c > 0, but when there are two inequality signs I don't know how to deal with it. Is multiplying by b or d to each of the inequalities allowed? For instance, if 0<=a<b and 0 <=c<d is it true that 0<=bc < bd?

hi phospho! :smile:
tiny-tim said:
(second hint: if you could prove ac < bc, what would you still need to get ac < bd ? :wink:)

phospho said:
… is it true that 0<=bc < bd?

that's right! … if you can prove ac < bc and bc < bd,

then obviously you have ac < bc < bd, ie ac < bd

sooo … now prove ac < bc and bc < bd (separately) :wink:

Related to Proving Inequality for Math Students

1. What is the purpose of "Proving Inequality: A Guide for Math Students"?

The purpose of this guide is to provide math students with a comprehensive understanding of how to prove inequalities in mathematical equations. It covers various techniques and strategies for proving inequalities, as well as common mistakes to avoid.

2. Who is the target audience for this guide?

This guide is primarily aimed at math students, particularly those studying algebra, geometry, and calculus. However, it can also be useful for anyone interested in understanding how to prove inequalities in mathematical equations.

3. What topics are covered in "Proving Inequality: A Guide for Math Students"?

The guide covers a variety of topics related to proving inequalities, including the properties of inequality, the use of algebraic manipulation, the application of the triangle inequality, and the use of mathematical induction. It also includes examples and step-by-step explanations to help readers understand these concepts.

4. Why is it important to know how to prove inequalities in math?

Proving inequalities is an essential skill for any math student, as it is used in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. It allows students to make meaningful comparisons between numbers and equations, and it is often used to solve real-world problems.

5. Can this guide be used as a reference for future math courses?

Yes, this guide can serve as a valuable reference for future math courses. The techniques and strategies for proving inequalities covered in this guide are widely applicable and can be used in various mathematical contexts. It can also be a helpful review for students who need to refresh their knowledge of proving inequalities.