Factoring algebraic complex expression

In summary, the expression ac-bd+adi+bci can be factored as a(c+di)-b(d-ci), by identifying the common factors within the expression and factoring them out. The similarity between (c+di) and (d-ci) can be seen by recognizing that they differ by a factor of i. To fully factor the expression, additional steps may be required, such as factoring out bi instead of just b. Generally, factoring expressions involves identifying common factors and using algebraic techniques to simplify the expression.
Maxo

Homework Statement

Factor the expression ac-bd+adi+bci

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We can factor the variable 'a' which gives:
a(c+di)-bd+bci
The common factor in the remaining terms is b, and if we also factor out b we get
a(c+di)-b(d+ci)

But this is not the way I want it factorized. I want it to be factored completely. How can that be done step by step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxo said:
The common factor in the remaining terms is b, and if we also factor out b we get
a(c+di)-b(d-ci)
Do you realize the similarity between the factors (c+di) and (d-ci)? How can you make them the same?

Last edited:
Fightfish said:
Do you realize the similarity between the factors (c+di) and (d-ci)? How can you make them the same?
I made a misstake, it should be a(c+di)-b(d-ci). Anyway so you're saying (c+di) and (d-ci) can be made the same. I actually don't see how that could be done? I mean both the real and the imaginary parts of these expressions are different. How are they the same?

Maybe I wasn't very clear with what I meant by "make the same", but what I was trying to convey is identifying the common factor between these two terms. Notice that they differ by a factor of i

Likes 1 person
For your second step, factor out bi instead of just b. Be more careful with signs and brackets.

Likes 1 person
Now I see it :)

Is there some rule (algorithm) / procedure to follow when factoring like this?

Related to Factoring algebraic complex expression

1. What is factoring in algebra?

Factoring in algebra is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into simpler components. It involves finding the common factors of an expression and rearranging them in a way that makes the expression easier to solve.

2. Why is factoring important in algebra?

Factoring is important in algebra because it helps us solve equations and simplify expressions. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different algebraic expressions, which can be useful in solving more complex problems.

3. How do you factor a complex algebraic expression?

To factor a complex algebraic expression, first look for any common factors that can be pulled out. Then, use methods such as grouping, difference of squares, or perfect square trinomials to further simplify the expression. It may also be helpful to use the distributive property to expand and rearrange the expression.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when factoring algebraic expressions?

One common mistake when factoring algebraic expressions is forgetting to check for common factors. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the distributive property or making errors when grouping terms. It is also important to double check the final factored expression to ensure it is equivalent to the original expression.

5. Can all algebraic expressions be factored?

No, not all algebraic expressions can be factored. Some expressions may have no common factors or may not fit into any of the factoring methods. In these cases, other techniques such as the quadratic formula may be used to solve the expression.