Proving Inequality: Double Integral (dA / (4+x^2+y^2)) ≤ π

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem is to prove the inequality $$\int_D \frac{dA}{4 + x^2 + y^2} \leq \pi$$ for the disk D where x^2 + y^2 ≤ 4. The key is to use the fact that ##\frac{1}{4 + x^2 + y^2} \leq \frac 1 4## and to integrate from 0 to 2 instead of 0 to 4.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Prove the inequality double integral (dA / (4+x^2+y^2)) is less than or equal to pi, where the double integral has a sub D where D is the disk x^2 + y^2 less than or equal to four

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea, anyone want to give me a clue to help me get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is the exact question?

Last edited:
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Prove the inequality double integral (dA / (4+x^2+y^2)) is less than or equal to pi, where the double integral has a sub D where D is the disk x^2 + y^2 less than or equal to four

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea, anyone want to give me a clue to help me get started?

dirk_mec1 said:
Are you sure this is the exact question?
I believe it is.

Here's the integral and inequality:
$$\int_D \frac{dA}{4 + x^2 + y^2} \leq \pi$$
where D is the disk x2 + y2 ≤ 4.

The key here, I believe, is that ##\frac{1}{4 + x^2 + y^2} \leq \frac 1 4##.

Mark44 said:
I believe it is.
Are you really sure?

dirk_mec1 said:
Are you really sure?

Obvously only Psychonaut can be sure but the problem statement is a true statement if that's what you're trying to get at.

What do you mean by a "true statement"?

[tex] \int_0^4 \frac{r}{4+r^2}\ \mbox{d}r = \ln(\sqrt5) = 0.8 [/tex]

Office_Shredder said:
Obvously only Psychonaut can be sure but the problem statement is a true statement if that's what you're trying to get at.

dirk_mec1 said:

By "true statement" I think Office_Shredder means that the problem as described in the OP represents a problem that can be solved. In this case, the problem is fairly simple. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

dirk_mec1 said:

[tex] \int_0^4 \frac{r}{4+r^2}\ \mbox{d}r = \ln(\sqrt5) = 0.8 [/tex]
You have the wrong integration limits here. They should be from 0 to 2, not from 0 to 4.

Related to Proving Inequality: Double Integral (dA / (4+x^2+y^2)) ≤ π

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a surface in two-dimensional space. It involves finding the area of a region bounded by two curves by dividing it into small rectangles and summing up their areas.

2. What does the inequality mean in this context?

The inequality dA / (4+x^2+y^2) ≤ π is stating that the area under the given surface is always less than or equal to π. This means that the surface does not exceed a certain value and is bounded by a maximum area of π.

3. How can we prove this inequality to be true?

To prove this inequality, we can use the properties of double integrals and apply them to the given function. This involves breaking down the function into smaller parts, evaluating the integral, and then using algebraic manipulation to show that it is less than or equal to π.

4. What is the significance of this inequality in mathematics?

This inequality has significant implications in the field of mathematics, particularly in the study of integration and surface area. It helps us understand the behavior of functions and their corresponding areas, and it can be used to solve real-life problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this inequality?

Yes, this inequality has many real-life applications, such as in calculating the area of a circular field, determining the volume of a sphere, or finding the surface area of a curved object. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function within a given area.