Proving Identity for Non-Zero Symmetric Covariant Tensors

In summary: S = \lambda \bf I, where \bf I is the identity tensor. Now, since we know that \bf G(\vec a, \vec b) = \bf G(\vec b, \vec a), we can use this to rewrite our original identity as:\bf G(\vec a, \vec b)\bf S(\vec c, \vec d) + \bf G(\vec b, \vec c)\bf S(\vec a, \vec d) = \bf G(\vec a, \vec d)\bf S(\vec b, \vec c) + \bf G(\vec c, \vec d)\bf S(\vec a, \vec b)Sub
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

For ease of writing, a covariant tensor [tex]\bf G..[/tex] will be written as [tex]\bf G[/tex] and a,b,c,d are vectors.

Let [tex]\bf S[/tex] and [tex]\bf G[/tex] be two non-zero symmetric covariant tensors in a four-dimensional vector space. Furthermore, let S and G satisfy the identity:

[tex][\bf G \otimes \bf S](\vec a, \vec b, \vec c, \vec d) - [\bf G \otimes \bf S](\vec a, \vec d, \vec b, \vec c) + [\bf G \otimes \bf S](\vec b, \vec c, \vec a, \vec d) - [\bf G \otimes \bf S](\vec c, \vec d, \vec a, \vec b) \equiv 0[/tex]

for all a,b,c,d in V. Prove that there must exist a scalar [tex]\lambda \neq 0[/tex] such that

[tex]\bf G = \lambda \bf S[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
First we write it as:
[tex]\bf G(\vec a, \vec b)\bf S(\vec c, \vec d) - \bf G(\vec a, \vec d)\bf S(\vec b, \vec c) + \bf G(\vec b, \vec c)\bf S(\vec a, \vec d) - \bf G(\vec c, \vec d)\bf S(\vec a, \vec b)[/tex]

My first thought it to set [tex]\alpha = \bf G(\vec a, \vec b) \ and \ \beta = \bf G(\vec a, \vec d) \ and \ \gamma = \bf G(\vec b, \vec c) \ and \ \delta = \bf G(\vec c, \vec d)[/tex] since they are just scalars. After utilizing the symmetric properties of the tensors we get:

[tex]\alpha \bf S(\vec c, \vec d) - \beta \bf S(\vec c, \vec b) + \gamma \bf S(\vec a, \vec d) - \delta \bf S(\vec a, \vec b)[/tex]

Simplifying:
[tex]\bf S(\vec c, \alpha \vec d - \beta \vec b) + \bf S(\vec a, \gamma \vec d - \delta \vec b)[/tex]

Which doesn't seem to get us anywhere.

I next tried to use a different substitution(same alpha and beta but this time gamma and delta I set to be S(...) and I get:

[tex]\bf S(\vec c, \alpha \vec d - \beta \vec b) = \bf G(\vec c, \delta \vec d - \gamma \vec b)[/tex]

This looks slightly more promising as far as I can tell but I don't know where to go.
I tried to do this:
[tex]\alpha \vec d - \beta \vec b = \bf G(\vec a, \vec b)\vec d - \bf G(\vec a, \vec d) \vec b = [/tex]
[tex] = \bf G(\vec a, \vec b)d_{i} - \bf G(\vec a, \vec d)b_{i}[/tex]

But that doesn't seem to pan out (I took a few more steps in this direction but it doesn't seem to go anywhere useful).

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. I can offer some guidance to help you reach a proof.

First, let's recall some properties of covariant tensors. We know that they are linear maps that take in vectors and return scalars. In this case, we have two covariant tensors \bf G and \bf S, and we are given that they are symmetric, meaning that \bf G(\vec a, \vec b) = \bf G(\vec b, \vec a) and \bf S(\vec c, \vec d) = \bf S(\vec d, \vec c).

Next, let's take a closer look at the identity that we are trying to prove. We can rewrite it as:

\bf G(\vec a, \vec b)\bf S(\vec c, \vec d) - \bf G(\vec a, \vec d)\bf S(\vec b, \vec c) + \bf G(\vec b, \vec c)\bf S(\vec a, \vec d) - \bf G(\vec c, \vec d)\bf S(\vec a, \vec b) = 0

Now, we can use the properties of symmetric tensors to rewrite this as:

2\bf G(\vec a, \vec b)\bf S(\vec c, \vec d) - 2\bf G(\vec a, \vec d)\bf S(\vec b, \vec c) = 0

Or, equivalently:

\bf G(\vec a, \vec b)\bf S(\vec c, \vec d) = \bf G(\vec a, \vec d)\bf S(\vec b, \vec c)

This is where your substitution of \alpha and \beta is useful. We can rewrite this as:

\alpha \bf S(\vec c, \vec d) = \beta \bf S(\vec b, \vec c)

Now, since \alpha and \beta are just scalars, we can rewrite this as:

\bf S(\vec c, \vec d) = \frac{\beta}{\alpha} \bf S(\vec b, \vec c)

This means that \bf S is a scalar multiple of itself, which can only happen if \bf S is a scalar itself. In other words, there exists a scalar \lambda

Related to Proving Identity for Non-Zero Symmetric Covariant Tensors

1. What is a non-zero symmetric covariant tensor?

A non-zero symmetric covariant tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between different coordinate systems or reference frames. It is a type of tensor that is both non-zero, meaning it has a non-zero magnitude, and symmetric, meaning it is unchanged when its coordinates are switched.

2. Why is proving identity important for non-zero symmetric covariant tensors?

Proving identity for non-zero symmetric covariant tensors is important because it allows us to verify the mathematical consistency and accuracy of equations and formulas involving these tensors. It ensures that the results obtained using these tensors are reliable and can be used in further calculations and analyses.

3. How is identity proved for non-zero symmetric covariant tensors?

Identity can be proved for non-zero symmetric covariant tensors using mathematical techniques such as substitution, simplification, and algebraic manipulation. These techniques involve substituting the tensor equations with different coordinate systems and then showing that they are equivalent.

4. What are some practical applications of non-zero symmetric covariant tensors?

Non-zero symmetric covariant tensors have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to describe the properties of physical systems and to solve complex problems involving multiple reference frames. They are also used in the fields of elasticity, fluid mechanics, and relativity.

5. Can non-zero symmetric covariant tensors be used to describe non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, non-zero symmetric covariant tensors can be used to describe non-Euclidean spaces, such as curved spaces in general relativity. In these cases, the tensors may have non-zero values to represent the curvature of the space, but they still maintain their symmetry and covariant properties.