Proving I_n \leq (2n/(2n+1))^n by induction for positive n

In summary, the solution provided uses induction to prove that for all positive integers of n, the statement I_n \leq \left (\dfrac{2n}{2n + 1} \right)^n is true. This is done by showing that the statement is true for n = 1 and assuming it to be true for some arbitrary positive integer k, and then proving that it must also be true for k + 1. This is achieved by manipulating the given relation and showing that it leads to the desired inequality. Therefore, by the principle of mathematical induction, it can be concluded that the statement is true for all positive integers of n.
converting1
[tex] I_n = \displaystyle \int_0^1 (1-x^2)^ndx, n \geq 0 [/tex]

Given that [itex] (2n + 1)I_n = 2nI_{n-1} [/itex]

proove by induction that

[itex] I_n \leq \left (\dfrac{2n}{2n + 1} \right)^n [/itex] for positive integers of n

in the solutions, could someone explain how they got to step 1, and why we need to show step 2 to complete the proof?

Solutions: http://gyazo.com/26e85134e4d5c13d5d7a49a0de91ae58

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the statement:
[tex]
S_n : I_n \leq \left( \frac{2n}{2n + 1} \right)^n
[/tex]
and you want to prove that it's true for all n, where n is a positive integer.
You can do this by proving that [itex]S_1[/itex] and [itex]S_k \Rightarrow S_{k + 1}[/itex] are true, where k is a positive integer.

Proving [itex]S_1[/itex] is true should be simple enough. Prove [itex]S_k \Rightarrow S_{k + 1}[/itex] is true by direct proof, i.e. assume [itex]S_k[/itex] to be true and show that it forces [itex]S_{k + 1}[/itex] to be true:
[tex]
S_k : I_k \leq \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \Leftrightarrow \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} I_k \leq \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \Leftrightarrow I_{k + 1} \leq \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k
[/tex]
Here I just multiplied both sides of the inequality by [itex]\frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3}[/itex] and used the relation [itex]I_n = \frac{2n}{2n + 1} I_{n - 1}[/itex].

You have:
[tex]
S_{k + 1} : I_{k + 1} \leq \left( \frac{2(k + 1)}{2(k + 1) + 1} \right)^{k + 1} = \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k + 1} = \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{1} \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k}
[/tex]
Thus, if you can show that:
[tex]
\frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \leq \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{1} \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k}
[/tex]
then [itex]S_{k + 1}[/itex] must be true if [itex]S_{k}[/itex] is true.

It follows by induction that [itex]S_n[/itex] is true for all n, where n is a positive integer.

milesyoung said:
You have the statement:
[tex]
S_n : I_n \leq \left( \frac{2n}{2n + 1} \right)^n
[/tex]
and you want to prove that it's true for all n, where n is a positive integer.
You can do this by proving that [itex]S_1[/itex] and [itex]S_k \Rightarrow S_{k + 1}[/itex] are true, where k is a positive integer.

Proving [itex]S_1[/itex] is true should be simple enough. Prove [itex]S_k \Rightarrow S_{k + 1}[/itex] is true by direct proof, i.e. assume [itex]S_k[/itex] to be true and show that it forces [itex]S_{k + 1}[/itex] to be true:
[tex]
S_k : I_k \leq \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \Leftrightarrow \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} I_k \leq \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \Leftrightarrow I_{k + 1} \leq \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k
[/tex]
Here I just multiplied both sides of the inequality by [itex]\frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3}[/itex] and used the relation [itex]I_n = \frac{2n}{2n + 1} I_{n - 1}[/itex].

You have:
[tex]
S_{k + 1} : I_{k + 1} \leq \left( \frac{2(k + 1)}{2(k + 1) + 1} \right)^{k + 1} = \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k + 1} = \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{1} \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k}
[/tex]
Thus, if you can show that:
[tex]
\frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \left( \frac{2k}{2k + 1} \right)^k \leq \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{1} \left( \frac{2k + 2}{2k + 3} \right)^{k}
[/tex]
then [itex]S_{k + 1}[/itex] must be true if [itex]S_{k}[/itex] is true.

It follows by induction that [itex]S_n[/itex] is true for all n, where n is a positive integer.

managed to show that's true

thank you :)

Related to Proving I_n \leq (2n/(2n+1))^n by induction for positive n

What is the statement being proved by induction?

The statement being proved is I_n \leq (2n/(2n+1))^n for positive n, where I_n = 1*3*5*...*(2n-1).

What is the base case for this proof?

The base case is n = 1, where I_n = 1 and (2n/(2n+1))^n = 1. Since 1 \leq 1, the statement holds true for n = 1.

What is the inductive hypothesis for this proof?

The inductive hypothesis is that the statement holds true for some positive integer k, where k \geq 1. In other words, I_k \leq (2k/(2k+1))^k.

What is the inductive step for this proof?

The inductive step involves showing that if the statement holds true for k, then it also holds true for k+1. This involves substituting k+1 into the original statement and using the inductive hypothesis to show that it is true.

How does the proof demonstrate that the statement is true for all positive integers?

The proof uses the base case and inductive step to show that the statement is true for n = 1, and then for n = 2, and then for n = 3, and so on. This shows that the statement is true for all positive integers.