Proving Grad(F) is perpendicular to level curve - question

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by Adams that the gradient of a function can be expressed as \nabla f \cdot \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = 0 for a parametrization of a level curve. The participants question the need for specifying values for t=0 and x(0), y(0) in the proof and discuss possible alternative proofs.
raxAdaam
Hi -

I was reading Adams' "Calculus: A Complete Course" (6th edition) and he offers the following proof that the gradient of a function:

Let [itex] \mathbf{r} = x(t)\mathbf{i} + y(t)\mathbf{j}[/itex] be a parametriazation of the level curve of [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]x(0) = a[/itex] and [itex]y(0) = b[/itex]. Then for all [itex] t[/itex] near 0, [itex] f\left( x(t), y(t)\right) = f(a,b)[/itex]. Differentiating this equation with respect to [itex]t[/itex] using the chain rule, we obtain:

[itex] f_1\frac{dx}{dt}+ f_2\frac{dy}{dt} = 0[/itex]

At [itex]t=0[/itex] this says that [itex]\nabla f(a,b) \cdot \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}\Big|_{t=0}=0[/itex], that is, [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is perpendicular to the tangent vector [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt}[/itex] to the level curve at (a,b).

I'm just wondering why the emphasis on specifying the values of x(0) and y(0), or even the need to specify t = 0 in the last statement? If [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] is a parameterization of the level curve, then isn't the derivative of f zero for all values of t? Why not go for the more general statement?

I guess I just don't find the proof very satisfying. Obviously I don't doubt it, but does anyone know a more intuitive proof? I'm teaching the concept shortly and always appreciate bringing an intuitive approach. Usually I try to make connections to single variable, but that's not possible here …

Thanks in advance,

Rax

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree; there seems to be no reason to have a, b, or t = 0. If x(t), y(t) is parameterization of the level curve for some values of t, then the value of f(x(t), y(t)) is a constant for all t that correspond to being on the level curve. It should be okay to write

[itex]\frac{df}{dt} = \nabla f \cdot \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} = 0 [/itex]

Likes 1 person
How is the book's presentation a restriction of the statement's generality?

Having t=0 being a point on the parametrized curve is no restriction on the types of curves studied.
Having x(0) equal some arbitrary number "a" and y(0) some arbitrary number "b" do not represent restrictions either.

@arildno thanks for your comment. I realize that they do not represent restrictions, I guess I just feel that they are **suggestive** of restrictions because (ISFAIA) it is unnecessary. I also just don't understand why he would bother with those details?

@MisterX - I thought I posted a quick thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your weighing into let me know I'm not alone in this sentiment :D.

raxAdaam said:
I also just don't understand why he would bother with those details?

Because he is nitpicky.
Nitpickiness is a virtue, not a vice. :smile:

Related to Proving Grad(F) is perpendicular to level curve - question

1. What is the definition of "grad(F)"?

The gradient of a function F is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function at a given point. It is also known as the slope or rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How do you prove that grad(F) is perpendicular to a level curve?

To prove that grad(F) is perpendicular to a level curve, we need to show that the dot product between the two is equal to zero. This means that the two vectors are orthogonal, or perpendicular, to each other.

3. Why is it important to show that grad(F) is perpendicular to a level curve?

This is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the gradient of a function and its level curves. It also allows us to find the direction of steepest increase or decrease of the function at a given point on the level curve.

4. What are some common methods for proving that grad(F) is perpendicular to a level curve?

One common method is to use the definition of the dot product and show that it equals zero. Another method is to use the directional derivative of the function at a given point and show that it is zero in the direction of the level curve, indicating perpendicularity.

5. Can you provide an example of proving grad(F) is perpendicular to a level curve?

Sure, let's say we have the function F(x,y) = x^2 + y^2. The level curve for this function is a circle with radius 1 centered at the origin. To prove that grad(F) is perpendicular to this level curve at any point (x,y) on the curve, we can take the dot product of the gradient vector grad(F) = (2x, 2y) and the tangent vector to the circle, (-y,x). This results in 2x(-y) + 2y(x) = 0, showing that the two vectors are perpendicular.