Proving f is a Polynomial with Degree at Most n in Complex Analysis

In summary, if D ⊂ ℂ is a domain and f is analytic on D, and there exists an a ∈ D such that the kth derivative of f at a is zero for k=n, n+1, n+2,..., then f is a polynomial with degree at most n.
Poopsilon
Let D ⊂ ℂ be a domain and let f be analytic on D. Show that if there is an a ∈ D such that the kth derivative of f at a is zero for k=n, n+1, n+2,..., then f is a polynomial with degree at most n.

So I believe I have a proof, but the theorems are so powerful I feel like I might be overlooking something, here it is:

Basically f being analytic at a means it can be expanded as a convergent power-series in some open neighborhood around a. Now since the kth derivative and beyond is zero at a, we know this power-series is just at most an nth degree polynomial, which coincides with the values of f for all z in our neighborhood.

Now there is a theorem in my book which says that if g:D→ℂ is an analytic function on a domain D which is not identically zero, then the set of zeros of g is discrete in D. By discrete we mean that the set of zeros does not contain an accumulation point.

Thus since the kth derivative and beyond of f is analytic on D and are zero on an open neighborhood of D, and since this neighborhood is open in ℂ, then it clearly contains accumulation points, and thus the kth derivative and beyond of f must be zero on all of D in order not to contradict the theorem given above.

Therefore f is a polynomial with degree at most n.

Thanks =].

Physics news on Phys.org

Your proof looks correct to me! You have used the fact that the kth derivative and beyond being zero at a implies that the power-series expansion of f at a is just an nth degree polynomial, and then used the theorem about the set of zeros of an analytic function being discrete to show that f must be a polynomial on all of D. Great job!

Related to Proving f is a Polynomial with Degree at Most n in Complex Analysis

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers. It deals with the properties and behavior of complex-valued functions, which are functions that map complex numbers to other complex numbers.

What is the purpose of a proof review in complex analysis?

A proof review in complex analysis is used to verify the validity and correctness of a mathematical proof. It is an important step in the process of analyzing a mathematical argument and ensuring that it is logically sound.

What are some common techniques used in complex analysis proofs?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis proofs include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, the maximum modulus principle, and the Cauchy integral formula. These techniques help to simplify and solve complex problems involving functions of complex numbers.

How can one improve their skills in understanding and constructing complex analysis proofs?

One can improve their skills in understanding and constructing complex analysis proofs by studying and practicing regularly, seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians, and thinking critically about the concepts and techniques used in proofs. Working through a variety of problems and seeking feedback on solutions can also help to improve one's skills.

What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in the physical sciences, engineering, and economics. Examples include calculating electric and magnetic fields in physics, designing aircraft wings in engineering, and analyzing financial markets in economics. It is also used in image processing, fluid dynamics, and many other fields.