Proving F=-constant*(delta y) for delta y < d

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mango12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, to prove that F = -constant * delta y, we need to consider the three forces acting on the white ball: its weight, tension, and electric force. By using Newton's 2nd law and the electric force equation, we can set up equations for each direction (x and y) and solve for the tension force. Plugging in the tension force into the x equation, we can then set up an equation for d in terms of theta. Finally, by substituting sin theta with delta y over the radius, we can show that F = -constant * delta y.
Mango12
View attachment 5404

I need to prove that F=-constant*(delta y) if delta y < d

I have no idea how to go about this. Please help!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
I need to prove that F=-constant*(delta y) if delta y < d

I have no idea how to go about this. Please help!
Look at one of the white balls. There are three forces acting on it: 1) the weight, 2) the tension, and last but not least, 3) the electric force. If the system is stable then the sum of these forces is 0 N.

Can you finish from there or do you need more detail?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Look at one of the white balls. There are three forces acting on it: 1) the weight, 2) the tension, and last but not least, 3) the electric force. If the system is stable then the sum of these forces is 0 N.

Can you finish from there or do you need more detail?

-Dan

well I think weight is mgsin(theta) and tension is Fesin(theta) + mgcos(theta)

But I don't know theta and I don't get what delta y has to do with it

Mango12 said:
well I think weight is mgsin(theta) and tension is Fesin(theta) + mgcos(theta)

But I don't know theta and I don't get what delta y has to do with it
I didn't notice this last night...What force are you trying to find?

Either way you are likely to have to consider at least some of the following...

Consider the charge on the right. The electric force between two point charges is \(\displaystyle F = \frac{k q^2}{d^2}\). The weight of the ball is mg, and you have a tension force,T, acting up and to the left at an angle \(\displaystyle \theta\). Using the usual xy coordinate system we have Newton's 2nd:
\(\displaystyle \sum F_x = -T~cos( \theta ) + \frac{kq^2}{d^2} = 0 \)

\(\displaystyle \sum F_y = T~sin( \theta ) - mg = 0\)

Use the y equation to get an equation for T. Put that T value into the x equation. That will get you an equation for d in terms of \(\displaystyle \theta\). Beyond that I don't know what force you are trying to calculate.

-Dan

topsquark said:
I didn't notice this last night...What force are you trying to find?

Either way you are likely to have to consider at least some of the following...

Consider the charge on the right. The electric force between two point charges is \(\displaystyle F = \frac{k q^2}{d^2}\). The weight of the ball is mg, and you have a tension force,T, acting up and to the left at an angle \(\displaystyle \theta\). Using the usual xy coordinate system we have Newton's 2nd:
\(\displaystyle \sum F_x = -T~cos( \theta ) + \frac{kq^2}{d^2} = 0 \)

\(\displaystyle \sum F_y = T~sin( \theta ) - mg = 0\)

Use the y equation to get an equation for T. Put that T value into the x equation. That will get you an equation for d in terms of \(\displaystyle \theta\). Beyond that I don't know what force you are trying to calculate.

-Dan

I'm not sure. I do know I need to show that the negative charge would bounce up and down as if on a spring.

Mango12 said:
I'm not sure. I do know I need to show that the negative charge would bounce up and down as if on a spring.
Show that F = -constant * delta y

This is what I have so far that we did in class. He said we needed to make a substitution somewhere but I don’t understand where

2F=[Kq^2/r^2]2

Fy = [2Kq^2/r^2] sin theta

Sin theta = delta y/r
Sin theta = delta y/(d/2)

Related to Proving F=-constant*(delta y) for delta y < d

1. What does the equation F=-constant*(delta y) represent?

The equation F=-constant*(delta y) represents the relationship between force and displacement for a given system. It states that the force applied on an object is equal to a constant value multiplied by the change in displacement of the object.

2. How is this equation proven for delta y < d?

This equation can be proven using the principles of work and energy. By considering the work done on an object by a constant force, we can show that the work done is equal to the force multiplied by the displacement (W=F*d). By setting this equal to the change in potential energy of the object (W=ΔPE), we can rearrange the equation to get F=-constant*(delta y).

3. What is the significance of delta y being less than d in this equation?

The value of d represents the maximum displacement of the object. When delta y is less than d, it means that the object has not reached its maximum displacement and is still within the range of the force acting on it. This is important because it shows that the equation is only valid for a certain range of displacement and cannot be applied beyond that point.

4. Can this equation be applied to any system?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any system where there is a constant force acting on an object and the displacement is less than the maximum displacement of the object. It is a fundamental relationship in mechanics and can be used to analyze the behavior of various systems.

5. How does this equation relate to Hooke's Law?

This equation is essentially a simplified version of Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied on an object by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. By setting the constant value in F=-constant*(delta y) as the spring constant, we can see that the two equations are equivalent.