Proving Equivalence of Statements Involving Endomorphisms - Can We Take $v=x$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, we have discussed the statement that $V=\ker (\Phi)\oplus \text{im} (\Phi)$ is equivalent to $\ker (\Phi)=\ker (\Phi^2)$ and $\text{im} (\Phi)=\text{im} (\Phi^2)$. We have proven the first implication by showing that if statement 1 holds, then statement 2 and 3 also hold. We have also discussed the second implication and found a counterexample for the statement that $\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi$. Therefore, we cannot conclude that statement 1 holds from statement 2 and 3.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $V$ be a finite dimensional vector space and $\Phi \in \text{End}(V)$.
I want to show that the following statements are equivalent:
  1. $V=\ker (\Phi)\oplus \text{im} (\Phi )$
  2. $\ker (\Phi )=\ker (\Phi^2)$
  3. $\text{im} (\Phi )=\text{im} (\Phi^2)$

I have done the following:

We suppose that the statement 1. holds.
Let $v\in V$ then we have that $v=k+\Phi (x)$, where $k\in \ker (\Phi )$, so $\Phi (k)=0$, and $\Phi (x)\in \text{im} (\Phi )$.
We have that $y\in \ker (\Phi)\cap \text{im} (\Phi )\Rightarrow y=0$.

Can we take $v=x$ ? (Wondering)

If yes, then we would have the following:

$$x=k+\Phi (x) \Rightarrow \Phi (x)=\Phi (k+\Phi (x)) \Rightarrow \Phi (x)=\Phi (k)+\Phi^2(x) \Rightarrow \Phi (x)=\Phi^2(x)$$

From this, we get the statements 2. and 3., or not? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari! ;)

I don't think we can assume that v=x.
Instead we need to prove that $\Phi(v)=0$ implies that $\Phi^2(v)=0$ and the converse (for which we can use that the intersection of kernel and image is empty)...

I like Serena said:
Instead we need to prove that $\Phi(v)=0$ implies that $\Phi^2(v)=0$ and the converse (for which we can use that the intersection of kernel and image is empty)...

Suppose that the statement 1. holds. So, $v\in V$, $v=k+\Phi (x)$, where $k\in \ker \Phi $ and $\Phi (x)\in \text{im}\Phi$.

Let $y\in \ker \Phi \cap \text{im}\Phi $ then $\Phi (y)=0$ and $\exists w: y=\Phi (w)$. Since the intersection is trivial , we have that this holds only for $y=0$. Suppose that $v\in \ker \Phi $, so $\Phi (v)=0$. Therefore, $\Phi (k+\Phi (x))=0 \Rightarrow \Phi (k)+\Phi ^2(x)=0\Rightarrow \Phi^2(x)=0 \Rightarrow \Phi (\Phi (x))=0 \Rightarrow \Phi (x)\in \ker\Phi$.

So, we have that $\Phi (x)\in \text{im}\Phi$ and $\Phi (x)\in \ker\Phi$, that implies that $\Phi(x)=0$.

Replacing this at the initial equation we get that $v=k$. So, we have that $\Phi (v)=0 \Rightarrow \Phi^2(v)=\Phi (0)=0$.

This means that $v\in \ker \Phi^2$.

Therefore, $\ker \Phi\subseteq \ker \Phi^2$.

Is this direction correct? (Wondering) For the other direction, we assume that $v\in \ker \Phi^2 $, so $\Phi^2 (v)=0$.

Therefore, we have that $\Phi^2 (k+\Phi (x))=0 \Rightarrow \Phi (\Phi (k)+\Phi^2(x))=0 \Rightarrow \Phi(\Phi^2(x))=0$.

From that we get either that $\Phi^2(x)\in \ker \Phi$ or that $\Phi \in \ker \Phi^2$, right? (Wondering)

How could we continue? (Wondering)

I think we can simplify the first one a bit. (Thinking)

For any $v\in V$ we have that if $\Phi(v)=0$ it follows that $\Phi(\Phi(v))=\Phi(0)=0$.
So if $v\in \operatorname{Ker}\Phi$ we also have that $v\in \operatorname{Ker}\Phi^2$.
We don't even need statement (1) for that.

As for the converse, if $\Phi^2(v)=\Phi(\Phi(v))=0$ it follows that $\Phi(v) \in \operatorname{Ker}\Phi$.
But by definition we also have that $\Phi(v) \in \operatorname{Im}\Phi$.
So $\Phi(v) \in \operatorname{Ker}\Phi \cap \operatorname{Im}\Phi = \{0\}$.
And thus $v \in \operatorname{Ker}\Phi$. (Cool)

I see! (Happy) For $(2)\Rightarrow (3)$ do we do the following:

We have that $\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi$.

We consider the mapping $\Phi^2$.

Then we have that $\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi^2 +\dim \text{im}\Phi^2$.

Since $\ker \Phi=\ker \Phi^2$ we have that

$\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi^2 \\ \Rightarrow \dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi^2 \\ \Rightarrow \dim \text{im}\Phi=\dim \text{im}\Phi^2$

Is it correct so far? (Wondering)

When the dimensions are equal, does it follow that $\text{im}\Phi=\text{im}\Phi^2$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is it correct so far? (Wondering)

When the dimensions are equal, does it follow that $\text{im}\Phi=\text{im}\Phi^2$ ? (Wondering)

It's correct, but no, that does not follow.

Consider for instance the sets $A=\{1,2,3\}$ and $B=\{4,5,6\}$.
We can see that $|A|=|B|$, but we do not have that $A=B$.To prove statement 3, we need to prove that:
$$\forall v \in V: v \in\operatorname{im} \Phi^2 \overset{?}\to v \in \operatorname{im} \Phi$$
It means that $\exists x: v=\Phi^2(x) = \Phi(\Phi(x))$.
Can we conclude that $v \in \operatorname{im} \Phi$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
To prove statement 3, we need to prove that:
$$\forall v \in V: \operatorname{im} \Phi^2 \overset{?}\to v \in \operatorname{im} \Phi$$
It means that $\exists x: v=\Phi^2(x) = \Phi(\Phi(x))$.
Can we conclude that $v \in \operatorname{im} \Phi$? (Wondering)

Ah yes! (Nerd)

For the other direction:
Let $v\in \operatorname{im} \Phi$, then there exists a $x\in V$ such that $v=\Phi (x)$.
Do we conclude from here that $v\in \operatorname{im} \Phi^2$.
Do we apply $\Phi$ at the equation $v=\Phi (x)$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah yes! (Nerd)

For the other direction:
Let $v\in \operatorname{im} \Phi$, then there exists a $x\in V$ such that $v=\Phi (x)$.
Do we conclude from here that $v\in \operatorname{im} \Phi^2$.
Do we apply $\Phi$ at the equation $v=\Phi (x)$ ? (Wondering)

That's what we want to conclude but we can't just yet.
We need to prove that $v = \Phi(x) \to \exists y \in V: v=\Phi(\Phi(y))$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We need to prove that $v = \Phi(x) \to \exists y \in V: v=\Phi(\Phi(y))$. (Thinking)

How could we do that? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Having that

mathmari said:
$\dim \text{im}\Phi=\dim \text{im}\Phi^2$

and

I like Serena said:
$$\forall v \in V: \operatorname{im} \Phi^2 \to v \in \operatorname{im} \Phi$$
so $\operatorname{im} \Phi^2 \subseteq \in \operatorname{im} \Phi$

we get that $ \operatorname{im}\Phi= \operatorname{im}\Phi^2$, or not? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
How could we do that? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Well, if we use statement (1) and write $\Phi(x) = k + \Phi(y)$ with $k\in\ker\Phi$, it follows that:
$$v=\Phi(x)=\Phi(k + \Phi(y)) = \Phi(k) + \Phi^2(y) = \Phi^2(y)$$
That would complete the proof for (1) -> (3).
So if we prove (2)->(1) as well, we have proven (2)->(3).
mathmari said:
For $(2)\Rightarrow (3)$ do we do the following:

We have that $\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi$.

We consider the mapping $\Phi^2$.

Then we have that $\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi^2 +\dim \text{im}\Phi^2$.

Since $\ker \Phi=\ker \Phi^2$ we have that

$\dim (V)=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi^2 \\ \Rightarrow \dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi=\dim \ker \Phi +\dim \text{im}\Phi^2 \\ \Rightarrow \dim \text{im}\Phi=\dim \text{im}\Phi^2$

I think the first statement is not generally true based on only statement (2).

Consider for instance $\Phi=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&0\end{pmatrix}$ with $V=\mathbb R^2$.
I has kernel $\{0\}$ and image $\left\{\lambda \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}\right\}$.
So $2=\dim V\ne\dim\ker\Phi + \dim\operatorname{im}\Phi$. (Worried)

Related to Proving Equivalence of Statements Involving Endomorphisms - Can We Take $v=x$?

1. What are equivalent statements?

Equivalent statements are statements that have the same meaning or convey the same information. This means that if one statement is true, then the other statement must also be true. Equivalent statements are often used in mathematical proofs and logic.

2. How can I determine if two statements are equivalent?

In order to determine if two statements are equivalent, you can use logical reasoning or logical equivalences. This involves breaking down each statement into its component parts and comparing them to see if they have the same logical structure and truth values.

3. Can equivalent statements have different wording?

Yes, equivalent statements can have different wording as long as they convey the same meaning and have the same truth value. This is because the meaning of a statement is not dependent on its wording, but on its logical structure and truth value.

4. How are equivalent statements used in science?

In science, equivalent statements are used to express relationships between different scientific concepts or theories. They are also used in experiments and data analysis to determine if different measurements or observations are consistent with each other.

5. What is the importance of understanding equivalent statements?

Understanding equivalent statements is important in order to effectively communicate and reason in different fields, such as mathematics, science, and logic. It also allows for easier problem-solving and identifying errors in reasoning or arguments.