Proving Divergence of \sum\frac{1}{2n+1}

• MHB
  • Thread starter suluclac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
This leads to the conclusion that the series in question indeed diverges.In summary, we can prove that the series $\sum \frac{1}{2n+1}$ diverges by using the comparison test or the integral test. By comparing it to the harmonic series or by evaluating its integral, we can show that the series diverges.
suluclac
Prove that \(\displaystyle \sum\frac{1}{2n+1}\) diverges.
I understand that \(\displaystyle \sum\frac{1}{n}\) i.e. the harmonic series diverges (I say this because of the comparison test, that is, \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2n+1}\leq\frac{1}{2n}\leq\frac{1}{n}\)).
However, this doesn't correctly imply that 1/(2n + 1) diverges.
Then I decided to use the integral test! WLOG, let the lower limit be even prime.
\(\displaystyle \int_2^\infty\frac{dx}{2x+1}=\frac{1}{2}\int_2^\infty\frac{2dx}{2x+1}=\frac{1}{2}[\ln{(2x+1)}]\Big|_2^\infty=\infty\)
Therefore, since the integral diverges, the series diverges.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi suluclac,

Your work is correct, although one would technically have to justify (or just point out) that the sequence in question decreases to $0$ in order to apply the integral test.

Direct comparison test works here, too. For all $n \ge 2$, $2n + 1 \le 2n + (1/2)n = (5/2)n$. Therefore

$$\frac{1}{2n+1} \ge \frac{2/5}{n}\quad (n \ge 2)$$

Since the harmonic series diverges, so does $\sum \frac{2/5}{n}$; by direct comparison the series $\sum \frac{1}{2n+1}$ diverges.

Although mathematically sufficient, it amazes me the fact that the inequality reverses as we multiply 1/n by 2/5!

Related to Proving Divergence of \sum\frac{1}{2n+1}

What is the definition of divergence in math?

Divergence in mathematics refers to a situation where a sequence or a series does not have a finite limit. In other words, the terms in the sequence or series become larger and larger without approaching a specific value.

How do you prove the divergence of a series?

To prove the divergence of a series, one must show that the limit of the terms in the series does not exist or is infinite. This can be done using various methods, such as the comparison test, the integral test, or the limit comparison test.

What is the series \sum\frac{1}{2n+1}?

The series \sum\frac{1}{2n+1} is an infinite series in which each term is the reciprocal of an odd number. It can be written as 1 + 1/3 + 1/5 + 1/7 + ... and is known as the harmonic series.

Why is the series \sum\frac{1}{2n+1} divergent?

The series \sum\frac{1}{2n+1} is divergent because as n increases, the terms in the series get smaller and approach 0, but they never reach 0. This means that the series does not have a finite limit and keeps growing indefinitely, indicating divergence.

What is the significance of proving the divergence of a series?

Proving the divergence of a series is important in determining whether a series is convergent or not. Convergent series have a finite limit, while divergent series do not. Additionally, proving divergence can help in understanding the behavior of a series and its terms as n approaches infinity.