Proving Differentiability of f(x,y) at (0,0)

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic idea of a function involving two polynomials and a denominator with a squared term. The goal is to prove that if the function is differentiable at a point, then its partial derivatives are also continuous. The definition of differentiable is brought up and it is stated that the function must have continuous partial derivatives in a neighborhood. The conversation ends with the mention of a proof involving a tangent plane and a limit at (0,0). The person is still unsure how to approach the proof in the opposite direction.
Dvsdvs
Ok, so I have f(x,y)=(p(x)+q(y))/(x^2+y^2) where (x,y)NOT=0 and f(0,0)=0. the basic idea of the function is that the numerator contains 2 polynomials>2nd order. and the denominator has a Xsquared+ysquared. I have to prove that if f(x,y) is differentiable at (0,0) then its partial derivatives fx and fy are both continous. I need something rigorous i was thinking of doing something where the tangent h(x,y) approximates f(x,y) as dx, dy go to 0. and then from there... IDK i need all help i can get. Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the definition of "differentiable" at a point, for functions of several variables?

that the partial derivatives are continuous in a neighborhood BUT that proves that if partial derivs are cont., then the function is differentiable. I need to prove that if its differentiable, the partials are continous

Then I ask again, "What is the definition of "differentiable" at a point, for functions of several variables?:"

A definition is always an "if and only if" statement so what you give is clearly NOT a definition.

hmmm. A function is differentiable at a point if and only if Fx and Fy are continous? i still don't know where to start the proof for the generic problem though.

Last edited:

In part B of this question i proved that if Fx and Fy are continuous then f(x,y) is differentiable becuase a tangent plane exists there and i used lim at (0,0) (h(x,y)-f(x,y))/sqroot(x^2+Y^2) goes to 0 to complete the proof that it is differentiable. I don't know why I can't go the other way.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Differentiability of f(x,y) at (0,0)

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

Differentiability at a point means that the function is smooth and has a defined slope at that particular point. This implies that the function is continuous and has a unique tangent line at that point.

2. How do you prove differentiability of a function at a point?

To prove differentiability at a point, we need to show that the limit of the difference quotient (the slope of the secant line passing through the two points) approaches a unique value as the two points get closer and closer together. This unique value will be the slope of the tangent line at that point.

3. Why is it important to prove differentiability of a function?

Differentiability is an important concept in mathematics as it allows us to determine the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It also helps us to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which is useful in optimization problems.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. This is because differentiability implies continuity, but the converse is not necessarily true.

5. How do you prove differentiability of a multivariable function?

To prove differentiability of a multivariable function, we need to show that all of its partial derivatives exist and are continuous at the point of interest. If this condition is met, then the function is differentiable at that point.