Proving Det(A) From Quantum Field Theory Problem

In summary, when trying to prove the equation \epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}A_{\,\nu}^{\alpha}A_{\,\mu}^{\beta}A_{\,\lambda}^{\gamma}A_{\,\sigma}^{\delta}=\epsilon_{\mu\nu\lambda\sigma}\det\left(A\right), it may be helpful to use index notation and properties of the Levi-Civita symbol.
Petraa

Homework Statement

I was following this book "problem book in quantum field theory by voja radovanovic" and I got stuck in the following problem

Prove [itex]\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}A_{\,\nu}^{\alpha}A_{\,\mu}^{\beta}A_{\,\lambda}^{\gamma}A_{\,\sigma}^{\delta}=\epsilon_{\mu\nu\lambda\sigma}\det\left(A\right)
[/itex]

Homework Equations

A is a matrix and in the left-hand side we have the components of this matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to write an explicit form for the determinant using

[itex]
\det\left(A\right)=\sum_{i_{1}...i_{n}}\epsilon_{i_{1}}...\epsilon_{i_{n}}A_{1,i_{1}}...A_{n,i_{n}}[/itex]

but i didn't find anything useful. Any help or tip would be appreciated

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for reaching out for help with this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by trying to use the explicit form of the determinant. One tip I can offer is to try using index notation to simplify the expression and see if that leads you to a solution. Additionally, you may want to consider using properties of the Levi-Civita symbol to help simplify the expression. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to Proving Det(A) From Quantum Field Theory Problem

1. What is the significance of proving Det(A) from quantum field theory problem?

The determinant of a matrix is a mathematical concept that measures the scaling factor of a linear transformation. In quantum field theory, this determinant plays an essential role in calculating the probability amplitude for a given physical process. Therefore, proving the determinant from quantum field theory has significant implications for understanding and predicting physical phenomena.

2. How is the determinant calculated in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the determinant is calculated using functional integration. This involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take in a given physical process and taking into account the quantum fluctuations in the fields. The resulting value is the determinant of the matrix A, which represents the interactions between the fields.

3. What are the challenges in proving Det(A) from quantum field theory?

One of the main challenges in proving the determinant from quantum field theory is the mathematical complexity. The functional integration used to calculate the determinant involves complex mathematical manipulations and approximations, making it difficult to obtain an exact solution. Additionally, there may be multiple solutions or approaches to proving the determinant, and determining the most accurate or appropriate method can also be a challenge.

4. How does proving Det(A) from quantum field theory impact other areas of physics?

Proving the determinant from quantum field theory has significant implications for other areas of physics, including particle physics and cosmology. It can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions between particles, as well as help in studying the early universe and its evolution. Additionally, the techniques used in this proof may have applications in other areas of mathematics and physics.

5. Are there any current developments or progress in proving Det(A) from quantum field theory?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to prove the determinant from quantum field theory. Some recent developments include the use of numerical simulations and advanced mathematical techniques, such as supersymmetry and string theory, to study the determinant in different physical scenarios. However, due to the complexity of the problem, there is still much work to be done in this area.