Proving \delta as Eigenvalue of Matrix A with Constant Column Sum

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalue
In summary, if the columns of a matrix A each add up to a fixed constant \delta, then the row vectors of A - \delta I all add up to (0,0...0). By using this fact, we can show that \delta is an eigenvalue of A by showing that det(A - \delta I) = 0.
seang
eigenvalue "show that"

Homework Statement

Let A be a matrix whose columns all add up to a fixed constant [tex]\delta[/tex]. Show that [tex]\delta[/tex] is an eigenvalue of A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution manual's hint is: If the columns of A each add up to a fixed constant [tex]\delta[/tex], then the row vectors of [tex]A - \delta I[/tex] all add up to (0,0...0).

I don't even understand the hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all do you understand why "If the columns of A each add up to a fixed constant [tex]\delta[/tex], then the row vectors of [tex]A - \delta I[/tex] all add up to (0,0...0)."?

If yes, then

What is the equation that [tex]delta[/tex] has to fit in order to be an eigenvalue of [tex]A[/tex]?

What is the relation between the determinant of matrix [tex]A[/tex] and the determinant of the matrix obtained by adding to one of the rows of matrix [tex]A[/tex] all the others?

What is the determinant of a matrix that has a row of 0's?

Last edited:
1. Ax = lambda*x ?

2. det(A)

3. 0.

Yes?

seang said:
1. Ax = lambda*x ?
Yes but more helpful det([tex]A - \delta I[/tex]) = 0

so obviously I see the answer IF i can show that somehow I can get A to include a row of all zeroes.

Ok. Because each column of A adds up to a fixed constant [tex]\delta[/tex], it means that the rows (and the columns) of A add up to a constant of n*[tex]\delta[/tex], which means that the rows of [tex]A - \delta I[/tex] add up to 0.
So the matrix formed by, say, adding to the first row of [tex]A - \delta I[/tex] all the other rows will have the first row all 0's, and the same determinant as [tex]A - \delta I[/tex], which means that det([tex]A - \delta I[/tex]) = 0 and [tex]\delta[/tex] is an eigenvalue of A

Related to Proving \delta as Eigenvalue of Matrix A with Constant Column Sum

1. How do you prove that \delta is an eigenvalue of matrix A with constant column sum?

To prove that \delta is an eigenvalue of matrix A, we need to show that there exists a non-zero vector x such that Ax = \delta x. Additionally, we also need to show that the sum of the columns of matrix A is constant.

2. What is the significance of a constant column sum in this proof?

A constant column sum indicates that the matrix A is a stochastic matrix, which means that all entries are non-negative and each column adds up to 1. This allows us to use the Perron-Frobenius theorem to prove the existence of an eigenvalue with a corresponding non-negative eigenvector.

3. Can you provide an example of a matrix with constant column sum and \delta as an eigenvalue?

One example is the matrix A = [0.5 0.2; 0.5 0.8], which has a constant column sum of 1 and \delta = 1 as an eigenvalue.

4. What are the key steps in proving \delta as an eigenvalue of matrix A with constant column sum?

The key steps in this proof include showing that A is a stochastic matrix, using the Perron-Frobenius theorem to prove the existence of an eigenvalue with a corresponding non-negative eigenvector, and then showing that this eigenvalue is \delta by solving the eigenvalue equation Ax = \delta x.

5. Are there any applications of this proof in real-world scenarios?

Yes, this proof has many applications in various fields such as economics, biology, and transportation. For example, it can be used in modeling population dynamics, analyzing transportation networks, and studying the stability of economic systems.