Proving Convergence and Limit of a Sequence (Xn) in R

In summary, we are trying to prove that the sequence (An) is convergent with a limit of L, given that (Xn) is a convergent sequence with a limit of L. We know that (An) is defined as the average of the first n terms of (Xn). Using the definition of limit, we need to show that for any given epsilon, there exists an N such that the average of the terms up to k is within epsilon of L for all k>N. This means we need to consider both the initial terms and the later terms of (Xn). To do this, we can use the theorem that states if the summation of a sequence (Xn) converges, then the limit of
cb1020102022

Homework Statement

let (Xn) be a sequence in R. Let (An) be a sequence defined as An=(X1 +X2+...Xn-1+Xn)/n. (Xn) is a convergent sequence and the limit of Xn as n goes to infinity is L. Prove (An) in convergent sequence and that the limit is also L.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Where are you stuck.

Write out the first few terms of (An).

A1=X1, A2= (X1+X2)/2, A3=(X1+X2+X3)/3... I HAVE A THM IN MY BOOK THAT SAYS IF THE SUMMATION OF A SEQUENCE Xn CONVERGES THEN THE LIMIT OF Xn is 0. So I first assumed that the limit of Xn is not 0 the the numerator of An does not converge. But that does not really help. I am trying to figure out which convergence theorem to use...

So the n-th term, An, is the average of the first n terms of sequence (Xn).

right! But I am still stuck...

cb1020102022 said:
right! But I am still stuck...

You need to put together an argument using the definition of limit here. Pick an epsilon, how would find an N such that the average of the terms up to k is within epsilon of L for all k>N? The initial terms in the sequence may not be close to L, the later ones have to be. You need to take both groups into account.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Convergence and Limit of a Sequence (Xn) in R

1. What is a sequence in mathematics?

A sequence is a list of numbers that are arranged in a specific order. It can be finite or infinite and each number in the sequence is called a term.

2. What is convergence of a sequence?

A sequence is said to converge if the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a single value as the sequence progresses. This single value is called the limit of the sequence.

3. How is convergence of a sequence proven?

To prove convergence of a sequence, we need to show that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the limit value as we progress through the sequence. This can be done using various mathematical techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or the monotone convergence theorem.

4. What is the epsilon-delta definition of convergence?

The epsilon-delta definition of convergence states that for a sequence (Xn) to converge to a limit L, for any positive number epsilon, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n greater than N, the absolute value of Xn-L is less than epsilon.

5. Can a sequence have multiple limits?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has multiple limits, it is not a convergent sequence. However, it is possible for a sequence to not have a limit at all, in which case it is called a divergent sequence.