Proving Contractive Homework: Tips & Solutions

• Thread starter JasMath33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    calculus
In summary, the conversation was about a homework problem and how to finish it. The person had attempted to use a previous assignment about contractive functions to prove that the given function is contractive, and was seeking advice on how to proceed. Another person suggested using Banach's fixed-point theorem, and the conversation then turned to discussing the proof and how to apply it. Eventually, they also discussed using the Mean Value Theorem to show that the function is a contraction. The conversation ended with the person thanking the other for their help.
JasMath33

Homework Statement

I worked on this question and I made it so far, and now I am stuck on how to finish it. Here is the problem and below I will explain what I attempted.

upload_2016-7-6_8-41-4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know looking at the last part about using previous homework, I want to prove that the function is contractive. If I can prove that, I can use a previous assignment which says contractive functions have a fixed point. Here is what I have in my proof so far.
upload_2016-7-6_8-43-44.png

I am stuck now and not completely sure where to go next. Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what your last line in the picture means. Nevertheless, are you allowed to apply Banach's fixed-point theorem?

fresh_42 said:
I don't understand what your last line in the picture means. Nevertheless, are you allowed to apply Banach's fixed-point theorem?

Yes I could use that theorem. Would I just need to completely erase everything I did and start over?

I was getting the last part from using the previous homework problems below.

upload_2016-7-6_10-33-2.png

JasMath33 said:
Yes I could use that theorem. Would I just need to completely erase everything I did and start over?
So you are already done. The other exercise (Lipschitz continuity for ##f## on the condition on ##f'##) showed you that ##b## is your Lipschitz constant. Since ##b<1, \; f## is a contraction and the fixed-point theorem applies.

What other exercise are you talking about? I am lost on that statement. I understand the reasoning afterwards.

fresh_42 said:
So you are already done. The other exercise (Lipschitz continuity for ##f## on the condition on ##f'##) showed you that ##b## is your Lipschitz constant. Since ##b<1, \; f## is a contraction and the fixed-point theorem applies.
I think you are looking at the proof I found in the book and asked about. I get it now.

Mean value theorem: ##|f(x) - f(y)| = f'(t) |x-y| < b |x-y|##, i.e. ##f## is a contraction because ##b<1##.

fresh_42 said:
Mean value theorem: ##|f(x) - f(y)| = f'(t) |x-y| < b |x-y|##, i.e. ##f## is a contraction because ##b<1##.
Thanks I see it now. I forgot I could use that. Thanks.

JasMath33 said:
Thanks I see it now. I forgot I could use that. Thanks.

Even easier: just use very elementary methods. If ##|f'(t)| \leq m## on ##R## (or an an interval ##[a,b]##), that means that ##-m \leq f'(t) \leq m##. Thus, for ##x_1 < x_2## we have
[tex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f'(t) \, dt \leq \int_{x_1}^{x_2} m \, dt = m (x_2 - x_1) [/tex]
and
[tex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f'(t) \, dt \geq \int_{x_1}^{x_2} (-m) \, dt = -m (x_2 - x_1) [/tex]
Thus, ##|f(x_2) - f(x_1)| \leq m |x_2 - x_1|##.

Ray Vickson said:
Even easier: just use very elementary methods. If ##|f'(t)| \leq m## on ##R## (or an an interval ##[a,b]##), that means that ##-m \leq f'(t) \leq m##. Thus, for ##x_1 < x_2## we have
[tex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f'(t) \, dt \leq \int_{x_1}^{x_2} m \, dt = m (x_2 - x_1) [/tex]
and
[tex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f'(t) \, dt \geq \int_{x_1}^{x_2} (-m) \, dt = -m (x_2 - x_1) [/tex]
Thus, ##|f(x_2) - f(x_1)| \leq m |x_2 - x_1|##.
That works too. Thanks.

Related to Proving Contractive Homework: Tips & Solutions

1. What is contractive homework?

Contractive homework refers to a type of assignment or problem that requires the use of contractive mapping, a mathematical concept that involves repeatedly applying a function to a set of points in order to reach a fixed point. This type of homework is commonly found in subjects such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

2. How do I prove contractive homework?

To prove contractive homework, you will need to show that a function is a contractive mapping by satisfying the conditions of the Banach fixed-point theorem. This involves demonstrating that the function maps points in a given set closer and closer to a fixed point with each iteration. You may also need to use techniques such as induction or contradiction to fully prove the contractive nature of the function.

3. What are some tips for solving contractive homework?

One tip for solving contractive homework is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify the key components of the problem and make it easier to apply the necessary mathematical concepts. It is also helpful to review the definitions and properties of contractive mapping before attempting the homework. Additionally, it can be beneficial to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with the assignment.

4. What are some common mistakes made when proving contractive homework?

One common mistake when proving contractive homework is not properly understanding the definition of contractive mapping. This can lead to incorrect use of the Banach fixed-point theorem or other techniques. Another mistake is not carefully checking the conditions of the theorem or not providing enough detail in the proof. It is important to double-check your work and provide clear and thorough explanations when proving contractive homework.

5. Are there any resources available to help with contractive homework?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with contractive homework. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and study groups or tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide additional resources or guide you through the process of proving contractive homework. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed in order to successfully complete the assignment.