Proving continuity of two-variable function

In summary, the function f[/tex] in point [0,0] is continuous if and only if the limit as r goes to zero is zero.
twoflower
Hello to everybody.

Yesterday we wrote a fake test, in which I encountered problem I haven't benn able to solve so far.

The problem is given this way:

Let

[tex]
f(x,y) := \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{xy^3}{x^2+y^4} - 2x + 3y,&[x,y] \neq [0,0]\\0, &[x,y] = [0,0]\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

Find out, whether the function [itex]f[/tex] in point [0,0] is continuous

Well, to be continuous in origin, it has to have zero limit as [x,y] approaches [0,0].

I get

[tex]
\lim_{[x,y] \rightarrow [0,0]} \frac{xy^3}{x^2+y^4} - 2x + 3y
[/tex]

after converting to polar coordinates (which proved to be very useful when limiting two-variable functions) I have

[tex]
\lim_{r \rightarrow 0} \frac{r^4\cos \varphi \sin^3 \varphi}{r^2\cos^2 \varphi\ +\ r^4\sin^4 \varphi}\ -\ 2\lim_{r \rightarrow 0} r\cos \varphi\ +\ 3\lim_{r \rightarrow 0} r\sin \varphi = \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} r\cos\varphi \sin^3 \varphi\ \frac{r}{\cos^2 \varphi\ +\ r^2 \sin^4 \varphi}
[/tex]

The first part goes to zero so it would be sufficient to show that the second part is bounded. And that's where I got stuck.

Horse sense tells me this: if [itex]\varphi[/itex] is such that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is non-zero, the whole limit is zero. If [itex]\cos \varphi[/itex] is zero, then the limit is still zero...but I'm not sure of this and definitely it's not an acceptable mathematical solution. But I'm unable to prove this elegantly at this point...

Thank you very much for pointing me to the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
after you convert to polar and simplify all you have to do is find the limit as r goes to zero, phi can do anything. when r goes to zero your limit is zero.

math-chick_41 said:
after you convert to polar and simplify all you have to do is find the limit as r goes to zero, phi can do anything. when r goes to zero your limit is zero.

Are you sure? Can it be so easily seen? I still have some doubts...

And one more question, can you see some further simplification there?

Related to Proving continuity of two-variable function

1. What is the definition of continuity for a two-variable function?

The continuity of a two-variable function f(x,y) at a point (a,b) can be defined as the property that f(x,y) approaches the same value as (a,b) approaches a limit point (a,b) in the domain of f.

2. How can we prove the continuity of a two-variable function?

To prove continuity, we need to show that the function f(x,y) exists at the point (a,b) and that the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (a,b) exists and is equal to the value of f(a,b).

3. What are the three criteria for proving continuity of a two-variable function?

The three criteria for proving continuity of a two-variable function are: 1) the function must exist at the point (a,b), 2) the limit of the function as (x,y) approaches (a,b) must exist, and 3) the limit of the function must be equal to the value of the function at (a,b).

4. Can we use the epsilon-delta definition of continuity for a two-variable function?

Yes, the epsilon-delta definition of continuity can be applied to a two-variable function, but it involves showing that for any given ε, there exists a δ such that the distance between f(x,y) and f(a,b) is less than ε whenever the distance between (x,y) and (a,b) is less than δ.

5. What are some common techniques for proving continuity of a two-variable function?

Some common techniques for proving continuity of a two-variable function include using the epsilon-delta definition, using the sequential definition of continuity, and using the continuity of single-variable functions to prove the continuity of the two-variable function.