Proving Continuity of g(x) on a Metric Space T with f(x)=x

In summary, we need to show that g:T->R is continuous, where g(x)=d(f(x),x), given that T is a compact metric space with metric d and f:T->T is continuous with f(x)=x for every x in T. Using the fact that f is continuous, we can choose a delta such that d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon/2 for any epsilon>0. We then show that there exists a delta such that |g(x)-g(a)|<epsilon, which can be achieved by choosing delta=epsilon/2. Therefore, g is continuous.
l888l888l888

Homework Statement

T is a compact metric space with metric d. f:T->T is continuous and for every x in T f(x)=x. Need to show g:T->R is continous, g(x)=d(f(x),x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f is continuous for all a in T if given any epsilon>0 there is a delta>0 st d(x,a)<delta implies d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon. Need to show there is a delta st d(x,a)< delta implies |g(x)-g(a)|<epsilon.
by a previous problem i did... |g(x)-g(a)|=|d(f(x),x)-d(f(a),a)|<= d(f(x),f(a))+d(x,a)<d(f(x),f(a)) + delta. This is where I got stuck. from the assumption that f is continuous we got from there that d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon. but if i say that then i would have...|g(x)-g(a)|<epsilon + delta and inorder for |g(x)-g(a)|to be <epsilon we would have to choose delta to be 0 which it can't be because it has to be greater than 0. any suggestions on what i should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi l888l888l888! :smile:

l888l888l888 said:

Homework Statement

T is a compact metric space with metric d. f:T->T is continuous and for every x in T f(x)=x. Need to show g:T->R is continous, g(x)=d(f(x),x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f is continuous for all a in T if given any epsilon>0 there is a delta>0 st d(x,a)<delta implies d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon. Need to show there is a delta st d(x,a)< delta implies |g(x)-g(a)|<epsilon.

This must be true for every epsilon, so also for [itex]\varepsilon/2[/itex]. So, what happens to the following if you take

[tex]|g(x)-g(a)|<\varepsilon/2[/tex]

by a previous problem i did... |g(x)-g(a)|=|d(f(x),x)-d(f(a),a)|<= d(f(x),f(a))+d(x,a)<d(f(x),f(a)) + delta. This is where I got stuck. from the assumption that f is continuous we got from there that d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon. but if i say that then i would have...|g(x)-g(a)|<epsilon + delta and inorder for |g(x)-g(a)|to be <epsilon we would have to choose delta to be 0 which it can't be because it has to be greater than 0. any suggestions on what i should do?

hello micromass! I am not really understanding your question. can you clarify? did you mean d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon/2?

I'm so sorry! What was I thinking...

But yes, that is what I meant. You can take [itex]d(f(x),f(a))<\varepsilon/2[/itex]

Actually, I think I have it now. correct me if I am wrong...
f is continuous for all a in T if given any epsilon>0 there is a delta>0 st d(x,a)<delta implies d(f(x),f(a))<epsilon/2. Need to show there is a delta st d(x,a)< delta implies |g(x)-g(a)|<epsilon.
|g(x)-g(a)|=|d(f(x),x)-d(f(a),a)|<= d(f(x),f(a))+d(x,a)<epsilon/2 + delta. choose delta to be epsilon/2. so therefore |g(x)-g(a)|=|d(f(x),x)-d(f(a),a)|<= d(f(x),f(a))+d(x,a)<epsilon/2 + epsilon/2=epsilon, as desired...

Seems good! :smile:

Related to Proving Continuity of g(x) on a Metric Space T with f(x)=x

1. What is continuity on metric spaces?

Continuity on metric spaces is a property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the input values get closer together, the corresponding output values also get closer together.

2. How is continuity defined on metric spaces?

A function f is continuous on a metric space if for every point x in the domain, and for every positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that if the distance between x and y is less than δ, then the distance between f(x) and f(y) is less than ε.

3. What is the difference between continuity on metric spaces and continuity on real numbers?

Continuity on metric spaces is a generalization of continuity on real numbers. While continuity on real numbers only considers the distance between two points on the real number line, continuity on metric spaces takes into account the distance between any two points in a more general space.

4. Can a function be continuous on one metric space but not on another?

Yes, a function can be continuous on one metric space but not on another. This is because the definition of continuity depends on the metric used to measure the distance between points in the space. If the metric is changed, the definition of continuity may also change.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability on metric spaces?

Continuity is a necessary condition for differentiability on metric spaces. A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable at a given point. However, a function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable at that point.