Proving Continuity of Compositions: Sets of Measure Zero

In summary, The statement suggests that if f is continuous almost everywhere on [a,b] and g is continuous almost everywhere on [c,d], where the range of f is contained in [c,d], then g composite f is continuous almost everywhere. The proposed proof involves showing that the points of discontinuity of g composite f are contained in the union of those of f and g, and since the union of two null sets is also null, gof will be continuous a.e. on [a,b]. Concerns about the validity of a step in the proof are also addressed.
quantarb

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove that if f is continuous almost everywhere on [a,b], and if g is cont a.e. on [c,d], with
f[a,b] contained in [c,d], then g composite f is cont. a.e.

The Attempt at a Solution

------

Originally, my proof went something like this:

f is cont. a.e. implies f is Riemann integrable

g is cont. a.e. implies g is Riemann integrable

since f and g are Riemann integrable, g composite f is Riemann integrable (*)

A Riemann integrable function is cont. a.e., thus g composite f is cont. a.e.

-------

I was satisfied with this until I realized (*) might not be true, as I couldn't prove it as a Lemma.

Also, I am a newby to this forum - does anyone know if there is a way to LaTex my input?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The points of discontinuity of g composite f are contained in the union of those of f & g.
Since the union of two null sets is also null, gof will be continuous a.e.

Related to Proving Continuity of Compositions: Sets of Measure Zero

1. What is continuity of compositions?

Continuity of compositions is a mathematical concept that refers to the continuity of a function that is composed of two or more other functions. It means that the composed function remains continuous at every point where the individual functions are also continuous.

2. What are sets of measure zero?

Sets of measure zero, also known as null sets, are sets that have a measure of zero. In other words, they are sets that contain no points or have a volume, area, or length of zero. These sets are considered to be negligible in terms of measure or size.

3. How is continuity of compositions proved?

To prove continuity of compositions, we use the composition theorem, which states that if two functions f and g are both continuous, then the composition of f and g (fg) is also continuous. This means that we can prove continuity of compositions by showing that each individual function is continuous.

4. Why is proving continuity of compositions important?

Proving continuity of compositions is important because it allows us to determine the continuity of more complex functions. By breaking down a composed function into its individual components and proving their continuity, we can ensure that the composed function is also continuous. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and topology.

5. What are some applications of continuity of compositions?

Continuity of compositions has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, continuous functions are used to model physical phenomena such as motion and heat transfer. In engineering, they are used to design efficient and stable systems. In economics, continuous functions are used to model supply and demand curves and optimize production processes.