Proving Continuity and Linearity of a Function

In summary: Then x goes to q if and only if h goes to 0. So we have \lim_{x\rightarrow q} f(x)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(q+ h)= f(q)+ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(h). But we just said that \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(h)= f(p). So \lim_{x\rightarrow q} f(x)= f(q)+ f(p). That tells us that f is continuous at q also. Since q was arbitrary, f is continuous everywhere.(b) If f(1) is continuous, then by part (a), f is continuous everywhere. Since f is continuous at
ILikePizza

Homework Statement

Given that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y), prove that
(a) if this function is continuous at some point p, then it is continuous everywhere
(b) this function is linear if f(1) is continuous.

Homework Equations

definition of continuity

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think that contradcition(sp?) would work nicely here. But I'm not sure exactly how it would work. I mean, there exists a point q such that there exists a x > 0 such that for all d > 0, ... what would go in the "..."? |f(d) - f(q)| < x?

Beyond that, where do I go from there . any ideas? Is contradiction the right way to go?

(b) The only way i can think of making this work is showing if f(xc) =c f(x), we win. But again, how would you show this?

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure for part a off the top of my head, but assuming it's solved...

For part b, start by proving it for c a natural number, then extend it to all rational numbers without using the continuity condition. Use continuity (f(1) is continuous hence by part (a) all of f is) to extend f(xc)=cf(x) for c an irrational number

If f is continuous at x= p, then [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow p}f(x)= f(p)[/itex]. Let h= x- p. Then as x goes to p, h goes to 0 and f(x)= f(p+ h)= f(p)+ f(h).
[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow} f(x)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(f(p)+ f(h))= f(p)+ \lim_{h rightarrow 0} f(h)= f(p)[/itex].

What does that tell you about [itex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(h)[/itex].

Now for any q, look at [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow q} f(x)[/itex] by letting h= x- q.

Related to Proving Continuity and Linearity of a Function

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is considered continuous if its graph is a single, unbroken curve with no gaps or holes. In other words, there are no abrupt changes or jumps in the function's values as the input changes.

2. How can I prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: the function is defined at the point in question, the limit of the function as the input approaches the point exists, and the value of the function at the point is equal to the limit.

3. What is the difference between pointwise continuity and uniform continuity?

Pointwise continuity refers to the continuity of a function at each individual point in its domain. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, refers to the overall continuity of a function over its entire domain. A function can be pointwise continuous but not uniformly continuous if there are abrupt changes in the function's values over certain intervals.

4. How can I prove that a function is linear?

To prove that a function is linear, you must show that it satisfies the two conditions of linearity: the function preserves addition, meaning that f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y), and the function preserves scalar multiplication, meaning that f(cx) = cf(x) for any constant c.

5. Can a function be both continuous and linear?

Yes, a function can be both continuous and linear. In fact, all linear functions are also continuous, as they do not have any abrupt changes or jumps in their values. However, not all continuous functions are linear, as they may not satisfy the conditions of linearity mentioned above.