Proving Completeness Relation for Box Normalization

In summary: The sum of exponentials is infinite and has an infinite number of equally spaced peaks. This can be proven by using the Fourier integral theorem and the fact that the sum is periodic with period L outside of the interval.
geoduck
In one dimension the normalized momentum eigenstate for a particle with periodic boundary conditions of length L is: [tex]\psi_k(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}e^{ikx} [/tex].

Is the completeness relation obvious:

[tex]\Sigma \psi_k(x)\psi_{k}(0)=\frac{1}{L}\Sigma e^{ikx}e^{-ik0}=\frac{1}{L}\Sigma e^{ikx}=\delta(x) [/tex]

where the sum is over discrete eigenstates k?

How would you go about proving that sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
geoduck said:
[tex]...\frac{1}{L}\Sigma e^{ikx}=\delta(x) [/tex]
Hm, well the first thing to do is recognize that what you've written is false. The LHS is a periodic function with period L, while the RHS is not.

The schrodinger equation is a Sturm–Liouville equation and thus its solutions must form a complete basis.
So what is wrong with his equation Bill?

Ravi Mohan said:
The schrodinger equation is a Sturm–Liouville equation and thus its solutions must form a complete basis.
So what is wrong with his equation Bill?
The equation he's trying to prove is purely a mathematical identity involving nothing but exponentials and delta functions. Whether it is true or not cannot depend on how we were led to it, e.g. via Sturm-Liouville theory or Schrodinger quantum mechanics.

When you say the solutions must form a complete basis, the question is, basis in what space. And the answer is only the space of periodic functions with period L. The completeness relation you write down must adhere to this.

Bill_K said:
When you say the solutions must form a complete basis, the question is, basis in what space. And the answer is only the space of periodic functions with period L. The completeness relation you write down must adhere to this.

I can see that if you have a periodic function, and integrate it with respect to the delta function representation sum that I have, you'll get the value of the function at x=0 (you just write the periodic function as a sum of the allowed plane waves and use orthonormality).

I just don't find it obvious that the infinite sum is zero everywhere outside of x=0. I guess you are adding a lot of phases and they have the potential to cancel. O well.

geoduck said:
I just don't find it obvious that the infinite sum is zero everywhere outside of x=0. I guess you are adding a lot of phases and they have the potential to cancel. O well.
It isn't. It is nonzero at all points x = 0, ±L, ±2L, etc. What you should have written on the RHS is an infinite sum of delta functions, ∑ δ(x + nL). I know you are thinking that x is bounded in the range 0 to L, but a delta function δ(x) does not know that!

Likes 1 person
Bill_K said:

You are right. I should have been more careful.

To "prove" the original identity: given a function f(x) on an interval -L/2 < x <L/2, we can compute the coefficients of a Fourier series that represents this function on this interval, and is periodic with period L outside of the interval. If we do this computation for δ(x), we get the OP's completeness relation (with appropriate factors of 2π).

I put "prove" in quotes because we have to worry about convergence of the series and other mathematical details.

Avodyne said:
To "prove" the original identity: given a function f(x) on an interval -L/2 < x <L/2, we can compute the coefficients of a Fourier series that represents this function on this interval, and is periodic with period L outside of the interval. If we do this computation for δ(x), we get the OP's completeness relation (with appropriate factors of 2π).
Nonsense, Avodyne. The function that is "δ(x) on the interval -L/2 < x <L/2 and periodic with period L outside" is not what anyone else would recognize as an ordinary delta function.

Here's a brief note on the properties of this sum of exponentials, pointing out as I said that it has an infinite number of equally spaced peaks.

geoduck said:

[tex]\Sigma \psi_k(x)\psi_{k}(0)=\frac{1}{L}\Sigma e^{ikx}e^{-ik0}=\frac{1}{L}\Sigma e^{ikx}=\delta(x) [/tex]

How would you go about proving that sum?
If I remember it correctly,then it can be proved by going to L→∞,In that way the sum may be represented by Fourier integral using Ʃ→∫Ldk/2∏ and hence
1/L∫Ldk/2∏ e(ikx) which is δ(x).But this integral conversion can only be justified on convergence and periodicity condition.

andrien said:
If I remember it correctly,then it can be proved by going to L→∞,In that way the sum may be represented by Fourier integral using Ʃ→∫Ldk/2∏ and hence
1/L∫Ldk/2∏ e(ikx) which is δ(x).But this integral conversion can only be justified on convergence and periodicity condition.
But of course L=infinity is only a special case, and does not help to address the more general question when L is finite.

Bill_K said:
But of course L=infinity is only a special case, and does not help to address the more general question when L is finite.
yes,you are right.I will have to see some reference for the finite case.

Bill_K said:
Nonsense, Avodyne. The function that is "δ(x) on the interval -L/2 < x <L/2 and periodic with period L outside" is not what anyone else would recognize as an ordinary delta function.
I meant the original identity restricted to -L/2 < x <L/2.

Here is how we will prove it.We take an arbitrary well behaved function which can be expanded in terms of the eigenfunctions one got.We will take the normalized eigenfunction so it will be (1/√L)eikx,which we will denote by ψn(x) for different k.So
f(x)=Ʃncnψn(x),we multiply by ψm*(x) on both sides and integrate and use the orthonormality condition on right side and we get,
cn=∫ψn*(x')f(x')dx',putting into f(x) we have
f(x)=Ʃn∫ψn*(x')ψn(x)f(x')dx',if we are allowed to change the order of summation and integration we have,
f(x)=∫f(x')dx'Ʃnψn*(x')ψn(x),and so it is evident that
Ʃnψn*(x')ψn(x)=δ(x-x'),putting the ψn(x) as we have written and putting x'=0,we get
(1/L)Ʃneikx=δ(x)

Related to Proving Completeness Relation for Box Normalization

1. What is the purpose of proving completeness relation for box normalization?

The purpose of proving completeness relation for box normalization is to show that the box normalization algorithm is capable of capturing all logical deductions in a given system. This means that any valid formula in the system can be derived using the box normalization rules, demonstrating the soundness and completeness of the algorithm.

2. How is completeness relation for box normalization proven?

Completeness relation for box normalization is proven using a combination of mathematical and logical techniques. The process involves constructing a set of axioms and rules for the system, and then using these rules to derive all valid formulas in the system. If all valid formulas can be derived, then completeness relation is established.

3. What is the difference between soundness and completeness?

Soundness and completeness are two important properties of a logical system. Soundness means that any formula derived using the rules of the system is logically valid, while completeness means that all valid formulas can be derived using the rules. In other words, soundness is about not deriving false conclusions, while completeness is about not missing any true conclusions.

4. Why is completeness relation important in logic?

Completeness relation is important in logic because it ensures that a logical system is capable of capturing all logical deductions and producing all valid conclusions. This is crucial in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy, where logical reasoning is essential for solving complex problems and making rational arguments.

5. Are there any limitations to proving completeness relation for box normalization?

Yes, there are some limitations to proving completeness relation for box normalization. For example, the completeness proof may only apply to a specific set of axioms and rules, and may not hold for other variations of the system. Additionally, the proof may require complex mathematical techniques and may not be easily understandable to non-experts.