Proving Centripetal Acceleration Physically?

In summary, a student is looking for ideas for a physics project to prove centripetal acceleration. They are seeking a physical project rather than just using formulas, and someone suggests using a turntable on a playground to measure the speed. Another person suggests using a bucket of water as a simpler option, but the student is unsure about how to accurately measure the speed. Finally, someone jokes about measuring the speed at which kids get thrown off a carousel.
HTHLAndre
How Can I Prove this Physically

Homework Statement

[/B]
So I need to do a project where I prove centripetal acceleration. All the cases I've seen of where it's proved is using formulas, though I need an actual project.

By an actual project I mean something like http://jedlik.phy.bme.hu/~hartlein/www.mip.berkeley.edu/images/physics/A+0+47.gif

Does anybody know how I can prove centripetal acceleration with a physical project behind it?
Yes it can involve forumlas, equations also. Though I still need a project for it.

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Bucket of water - No way of proving so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you school doesn't have lab equipment for studying centripetal acceleration and force, you could build it: http://www.physics.fsu.edu/users/ng/Courses/phy2053c/Labs/Expt03a/Expt03a-3.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen Tashi said:
If you school doesn't have lab equipment for studying centripetal acceleration and force, you could build it: http://www.physics.fsu.edu/users/ng/Courses/phy2053c/Labs/Expt03a/Expt03a-3.htm
I'm looking for something a bit simpler, thanks though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carousel swing
Some other rotating object on a playground
Simple pendulum: weight hanging from a wire describing circles.

HTHLAndre said:
Bucket of water - No way of proving so far.

Why isn't the bucket thing working? Hold a small bucket of water upside down, the water falls. Rotate it, the water doesn't fall.

Turning the bucket thing into a physics learning experience (something to hypothesize, something to measure, something to evaluate) project worth a marking is hard (and wet).

Haha! It might get a bit wet, yes. But it you can get a small bucket, its pretty much feasible.

HTHL, do you have something available that rotates at a reasonable speed ? Lego with a little motor, meccano (Ha, mid 20th century -- shows my age :( ), ceiling fan ?
Anything resembling a carousel swing.
Hang a little weight from a wire and measure the angle as a function of rpm, radius, weight, wire length, time of day, etc... Real physics for you !
How to measure accurately ? Another physics challenge! (although with these thingies nowadays..)
And if you insist on getting wet: angle of liquid in a bucket on a turntable in the playground ! As a function of rpm, radius, temperature,

Last edited:
siddharth23 said:
Haha! It might get a bit wet, yes. But it you can get a small bucket, its pretty much feasible.
Thanks for the answer! :)
BvU said:
HTHL, do you have something available that rotates at a reasonable speed ? Lego with a little motor, meccano (Ha, mid 20th centrury -- shows my age :( ), ceiling fan ?
Anything resembling a carousel swing.
Hang a little weight from a wire and measure the angle as a function of rpm, radius, weight, wire length, time of day, etc... Real physics for you !
How to measure accurately ? Another physics challenge! (although with these thingies nowadays..)
And if you insist on getting wet: angle of liquid in a bucket on a turntable in the playground ! As a function of rpm, radius, temperature,
Using a turntable on the playground is actually a good idea to measure the speed, thank you for that!

HTHLAndre said:
Using a turntable on the playground is actually a good idea to measure the speed, thank you for that!

Measure the speed at which the the kids get thrown off the carousel :-p

Related to Proving Centripetal Acceleration Physically?

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Regular acceleration, or linear acceleration, occurs when an object changes its speed or direction in a straight line. Centripetal acceleration, on the other hand, occurs when an object changes direction while moving in a circular path.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How can centripetal acceleration be proven physically?

Centripetal acceleration can be proven physically by conducting experiments using objects moving in circular paths. The use of a string and a mass, such as a ball, can demonstrate that the direction of the acceleration is always towards the center of the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of a car around a curved road, the rotation of the Earth around the sun, and the movement of a satellite in orbit around a planet.