Proving Cauchy Sequences Using the Definition

In summary, the homework statement is trying to prove that a sequence is cauchy using its definition. The sequence is 81+14n/50+31n. The student is trying to figure out what N is supposed to be and how to show that 1811m-1811n<e(2500+1550m+1550n+961mn).
Mcoulombe

Homework Statement

Im trying to prove that a sequence is cauchy using its definition. the sequence is 81+14n/50+31n. i know it converges to 14/31 using L'hopitals rule but the assignment is to use the definition of cauchy

i have tried some things but I am not 100% sure how to start all i have done it look at what

s_n - s_m in absolute value is

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is |s_n-s_m|?

i got 1811m-1811n/2500+1550m+1550n+961mn

there is something else in also confused about the def i was given is:

a Sequence of real numbers, {sn} is said to be cauchy if for each epsilon >0 there exists a real number N such that for all n,m in the set of natural numbers, we have:
n,m> N implies that Sn-sm< epsilon.

what is N supposed to be and do i need to figure it out and i am no sure what epsilon is

You'll need to take an arbitrary (but fixed) real number [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. For that specific epsilon, you need to find a suitable N such that

[tex]|s_n-s_m|<\epsilon[/tex]

whenever n,m>N.

In this case, you'll need to show that

[tex]|1811m-1811n|<\epsilon|2500+1550m+1550n+961mn|[/tex]

for large enough n and m.

For what follows, we can always assume (WLOG) that m>n. That way, we can leave out the absolute values. We need to show then that

[tex]1811m-1811n<\epsilon(2500+1550m+1550n+961mn)[/tex]

for suitably large n,m.

1811m-1811n<e(2500+1550m+1550n+961mn)

so the LHS of this as m and n approach infinity is 0 obviously making the RHS larger. right?

Yes, except that the LHS does not approach 0. You've got a [tex]\infty-\infty[/tex] there. And that doesn't equal 0 necessairely...

ok i think i have done my proof but is all I am doing is showing
1811m-1811n<e(2500+1550m+1550n+961mn) or do i also need to find N from the definition

Well, you need to show that

1811m-1811n<e(2500+1550m+1550n+961mn)

but that won't hold for all n and m. It holds for all n and m that are greater then a certain N. You'll need to find that N...

Related to Proving Cauchy Sequences Using the Definition

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers that converges to a limit, meaning that as the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to each other, the sequence gets closer to a single value. This concept was first introduced by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the 19th century.

2. What is the definition of a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is formally defined as a sequence {xn} of real numbers such that for any positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n, m ≥ N, the absolute value |xn - xm| < ε. In other words, the terms in the sequence become arbitrarily close to each other as the index approaches infinity.

3. How is a Cauchy sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a type of convergent sequence, meaning it approaches a limit as the index approaches infinity. However, a Cauchy sequence differs from a general convergent sequence in that its terms become arbitrarily close to each other, rather than just approaching a single value.

4. Can a Cauchy sequence have more than one limit?

No, a Cauchy sequence can only have one limit. This is because the definition of a Cauchy sequence requires the terms to become arbitrarily close to each other, meaning that as the index approaches infinity, the terms will approach a single value.

5. What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous foundation for the concept of convergence. They are used in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and number theory, to prove the existence of limits and to define important concepts such as continuity and differentiability.