Proving Boundedness of a Subset of E with Positive Outer Measure

In summary, to show that a set E with positive outer measure has a bounded subset with positive outer measure, we can take the intersection of E with some of its covering sets and then construct a bounded subset from that. We can then show that this bounded subset also has positive outer measure by constructing a collection of open sets that cover it and have positive measure.
sbashrawi

Homework Statement

Show that if a set E has positive outer measure, then there is a
bounded subset of E that also has positive outer measure

Homework Equations

We can take an intersection of E with some of its covering sets. This will
give us a subset of E, but how can we be sure that it is bounded?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Let E have positive outer measure. Then there is some collection {$U_i$} of open sets such that $E \subseteq \bigcup_i U_i$ and $\sum_i m(U_i) > 0$. We can take a subset B of E by taking the intersection of E with some of its covering sets. That is, B={$E \cap U_i$}. For each element b of B, we can find a closed interval [a,b] containing b. This will give us our bounded subset B'={[a,b]: b $\in$ B}. To show that this subset B' has positive outer measure, we need to show that there exists some collection {$V_j$} of open sets with $B' \subseteq \bigcup_j V_j$ such that $\sum_j m(V_j) > 0$. We can construct this collection {$V_j$} of open sets as follows: for each b $\in$ B, pick an open interval (a,b) containing b. This gives us a collection {$V_j$} of open intervals with $B' \subseteq \bigcup_j V_j$. Since each of these open intervals have positive measure, $\sum_j m(V_j) > 0$. Thus, we have shown that B' has positive outer measure.

Related to Proving Boundedness of a Subset of E with Positive Outer Measure

1. How do you define boundedness of a subset of E with positive outer measure?

Boundedness of a subset of E with positive outer measure means that the subset has a finite or limited range of values and does not extend infinitely in any direction.

2. Why is proving boundedness important in scientific research?

Proving boundedness is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of a subset of E with positive outer measure. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions in our research.

3. What methods can be used to prove boundedness of a subset of E with positive outer measure?

There are several methods that can be used to prove boundedness, including the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, the Heine-Borel theorem, and the Cauchy criterion. These methods use different mathematical concepts, such as sequences and limits, to demonstrate the boundedness of a subset.

4. Can a subset of E with positive outer measure be unbounded?

Yes, a subset of E with positive outer measure can be unbounded. This means that the subset extends infinitely in one or more directions and does not have a finite range of values.

5. How does the outer measure of a subset of E relate to its boundedness?

The outer measure of a subset of E is a measure of its size or extent. A subset with a positive outer measure may or may not be bounded, depending on its range of values. However, a subset with a zero outer measure is always bounded, as it has a finite range of values.