Proving an inequality with square roots

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 13 from section I 4.7 of Apostol's Calculus Volume 1, which states that 2(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2(\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n-1}) if n\geq 1. This is then used to prove that 2\sqrt{m}-2<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}-1 if m\geq 2. The first inequality is proven by taking n=1,2,\ldots,m and adding the resulting inequalities. However, there
Ragnarok7
This is problem 13 from section I 4.7 of Apostol's Calculus Volume 1:

Prove that \(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2(\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n-1})\) if \(\displaystyle n\geq 1\). Then use this to prove that \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{m}-2<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}-1\) if \(\displaystyle m\geq 2\).

I have proved the first inequality, and using that I took \(\displaystyle n=1,2,\ldots,m\) to get the following inequalities:

\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{1})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{1}}<2(\sqrt{1}-\sqrt{0})\)
\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}<2(\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{1})\)
\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{4}-\sqrt{3})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}<2(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2})\)
\(\displaystyle \vdots\)
\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{m+1}-\sqrt{m})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{m}}<2(\sqrt{m}-\sqrt{m-1})\)

Adding them, I get

\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{m+1}-\sqrt{1})<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}\)

and, since \(\displaystyle \sqrt{m+1}>\sqrt{m}\), this implies

\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{m}-2<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}\)

so that the left inequality is the desired one. However, I'm unsure how to get the right side. Does anyone have any hints? Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
This is problem 13 from section I 4.7 of Apostol's Calculus Volume 1:

Prove that \(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2(\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n-1})\) if \(\displaystyle n\geq 1\). Then use this to prove that \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{m}-2<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}-1\) if \(\displaystyle m\geq 2\).

I have proved the first inequality, and using that I took \(\displaystyle n=1,2,\ldots,m\) to get the following inequalities:

\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{1})< \color{red}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{1}}<2(\sqrt{1}-\sqrt{0})}\)
\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}<2(\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{1})\)
\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{4}-\sqrt{3})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}<2(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2})\)
\(\displaystyle \vdots\)
\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{m+1}-\sqrt{m})<\frac{1}{\sqrt{m}}<2(\sqrt{m}-\sqrt{m-1})\)

Adding them, I get

\(\displaystyle 2(\sqrt{m+1}-\sqrt{1})<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}\)

and, since \(\displaystyle \sqrt{m+1}>\sqrt{m}\), this implies

\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{m}-2<\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^m\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}<2\sqrt{m}\)

so that the left inequality is the desired one. However, I'm unsure how to get the right side. Does anyone have any hints? Thank you!
The inequality in red, $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1}}<2(\sqrt{1}-\sqrt{0})$, says that $1<2$. You could improve that if you replace it by $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1}}\leqslant 1$. Then when you add the right inequalities, you should get what you want.

Ah! Very nice. Thank you!

Related to Proving an inequality with square roots

1. How do you prove an inequality with square roots?

To prove an inequality with square roots, you need to use algebraic manipulation and properties of square roots. You can start by isolating the square root on one side of the inequality and then squaring both sides. This will eliminate the square root and allow you to solve the inequality using traditional algebraic techniques.

2. Can you give an example of proving an inequality with square roots?

Yes, for example, let's say we want to prove that √x < 3 for all positive values of x. We can start by squaring both sides, which gives us x < 9. Since this is true for all positive values of x, we have successfully proven the inequality.

3. Are there any specific rules or formulas for proving inequalities with square roots?

Yes, there are a few key rules and formulas that can be helpful when proving inequalities with square roots. These include the property that √a < √b if a < b, the rule that (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2, and the formula for solving quadratic equations, x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

4. How do you know when to use square roots in an inequality proof?

Square roots are typically used in an inequality proof when the given equation or expression contains a square root. You may also need to use a square root when you want to isolate a variable that is under a square root sign.

5. Can inequalities with square roots be solved using graphing?

Yes, inequalities with square roots can be solved using graphing. You can graph both sides of the inequality separately and then shade the region that satisfies the given inequality. The point where the two graphs intersect is the solution to the inequality.