Can high school math prove this inequality?

Using high school mathematics prove the following inequality:In summary, the conversation discusses the use of high school mathematics to prove the inequality involving square roots and vectors. The OP suggests using the reverse triangle inequality, while another participant questions the possibility of using summation and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in a high school solution. The conversation ends with a curious anticipation of the OP's solution.
solakis1
Using high school mathematics prove the following inequality:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a_{1}^2+...+a_{n}^2}\leq\sqrt{(a_{1}-b_{1})^2+...+(a_{n}-b_{n})^2}+\sqrt{b_{1}^2+...+b_{n}^2}\)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
My attempt:
Squaring both sides:

\[\sum_{i}a_i^2\leq \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2+\sum_{i}b_i^2+2\sqrt{\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2\right )} \\\\ =\sum_{i}a_i^2+2\sum_{i}b_i^2-2\sum_{i}a_ib_i+2\sqrt{\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2\right )} \\\\ \Rightarrow \sum_{i}a_ib_i -\sum_{i}b_i^2\leq \sqrt{\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2\right )}\]

Squaring again:

\[\left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )^2+\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )^2-2\left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\leq \left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i^2+b_i^2-2a_ib_i) \right ) \\\\ =\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}a_i^2 \right )+\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )^2-2\left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right ) \\\\ \Rightarrow \left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )^2\leq \left ( \sum_{i}a_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\]

This statement is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Thus the stated inequality holds.

lfdahl said:
My attempt:
Squaring both sides:

\[\sum_{i}a_i^2\leq \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2+\sum_{i}b_i^2+2\sqrt{\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2\right )} \\\\ =\sum_{i}a_i^2+2\sum_{i}b_i^2-2\sum_{i}a_ib_i+2\sqrt{\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2\right )} \\\\ \Rightarrow \sum_{i}a_ib_i -\sum_{i}b_i^2\leq \sqrt{\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i-b_i)^2\right )}\]

Squaring again:

\[\left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )^2+\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )^2-2\left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\leq \left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}(a_i^2+b_i^2-2a_ib_i) \right ) \\\\ =\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}a_i^2 \right )+\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )^2-2\left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right ) \\\\ \Rightarrow \left ( \sum_{i}a_ib_i \right )^2\leq \left ( \sum_{i}a_i^2 \right )\left ( \sum_{i}b_i^2 \right )\]

This statement is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Thus the stated inequality holds.
Yes,but summation and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality are not high school mathematics.

How would you prove the CSB inequality using high school mathematics

If we let $a$ and $b$ be $n$ dimensional (euclidean) vectors, then your statement follows directly from the reverse triangle inequality, which is a high-school concept. Now if you're asking for the proof of the triangle inequality, since I'm lazy I'll just say it is geometrically intuitive.

solakis said:
Yes,but summation and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality are not high school mathematics.

How would you prove the CSB inequality using high school mathematics

Good question! I´m afraid I cannot come up with a real high school solution then ...:(

lfdahl said:
Good question! I´m afraid I cannot come up with a real high school solution then ...:(

It will be interesting to see the OP's solution. :)

solakis said:
Using high school mathematics prove the following inequality:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a_{1}^2+...+a_{n}^2}\leq\sqrt{(a_{1}-b_{1})^2+...+(a_{n}-b_{n})^2}+\sqrt{b_{1}^2+...+b_{n}^2}\)
my solution:
using inductive method
$\sqrt{a^2_1}=\left | a_1 \right |=\left | a_1-b_1+b_1 \right |\leq \left | a_1-b_1\right |+\left |b_1 \right |
=\sqrt{(a_1-b_1)^2}+\sqrt{(b_1)^2}$

n=1 is true
suppose n=n is true
let $P={a_{1}^2+...+a_{n}^2},Q={(a_{1}^2-b_1)^2+...+(a_{n}-b_n)^2},R={b_{1}^2+...+b_{n}^2}$
that is $\sqrt P\leq \sqrt Q+\sqrt R$
for n=n+1
we will prove :$\sqrt {P+a^2_{n+1}}\leq\sqrt {Q+(a_{n+1}-b_{n+1})^2}+\sqrt {R+b^2_{n+1}}$
with the help of the following diagram it is easy to get the proof
here CF=$\sqrt {P+a^2_{n+1}}-\sqrt P$
BD=CE=$\sqrt {Q+(a_{n+1}-b_{n+1})^2}-\sqrt Q$
and BD//CE
BC=DE
and BC//DE
EF=$\sqrt {R+b^2_{n+1}}-\sqrt R$
that is $AF\leq AD+DF$
View attachment 6614
IF point D between A and F then equality will hold

Attachments

• inequality 3.jpg
    inequality 3.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
MarkFL said:
It will be interesting to see the OP's solution. :)
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a_{1}^2+...+a_{n}^2}\leq\sqrt{(a_{1}-b_{1})^2+...+(a_{n}-b_{n})^2}+\sqrt{b_{1}^2+...+b_{n}^2}\Longleftrightarrow\sqrt{a_{1}^2+...+a_{n}^2}-\sqrt{b_{1}^2+...+b_{n}^2}\leq\sqrt{(a_{1}-b_{1})^2+...+(a_{n}-b_{n})^2}\) .................1
And squaring and then cancelling equal terms we end up with:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(a_{1}^2+...a_{n}^2)(b_{1}^2+...b_{n}^2)}\geq(a_{1}b_{1}+...a_{n}b_{n})\Longleftrightarrow(a_{1}^2+...a_{n}^2)(b_{1}^2+...b_{n}^2)\geq(a_{1}b_{1}+...a_{n}b_{n})^2\)............2

Put :
\(\displaystyle A= a_{1}^2+...+a_{n}^2\),

\(\displaystyle B= a_{1}b_{1}+...a_{n}b_{n}\)

\(\displaystyle C= b_{1}^2+...+b_{n}^2\)

Note: A and C are not zero

And (2) becomes:

\(\displaystyle AC\geq B^2\Longleftrightarrow AC-B^2\geq 0\Longleftrightarrow\frac{AC-B^2}{A}\geq 0\Longleftrightarrow A(x+\frac{B}{A})^2+\frac{AC-B^2}{A}\geq 0\Longleftrightarrow Ax^2+2Bx+C\geq 0\Longleftrightarrow (a_{1}^2+...a_{n}^2)x^2+2(a_{1}b_{1}+...a_{n}b_{n})x+ (b_{1}^2+...b_{n}^2)\geq 0\)\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow (a_{1}x+b_{1})^2+...(a_{n}x+b_{n})^2\geq 0\) which is true hence the intial inequality which is equivalent to the final one is also true

NOTE: \(\displaystyle \frac{AC-B^2}{A}\geq 0\Longrightarrow A(x+\frac{B}{A})^2+\frac{AC-B^2}{A}\geq 0\) FOR ALL x's hence for x=-(B/A) WE have : \(\displaystyle A(x+\frac{B}{A})^2+\frac{AC-B^2}{A}\geq 0\Longrightarrow\frac{AC-B^2}{A}\geq 0\)

Last edited:

Related to Can high school math prove this inequality?

1. What is high school inequality?

High school inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and outcomes among high schools. This can include disparities in funding, teacher quality, academic programs, and overall educational outcomes for students.

2. How does high school inequality affect students?

High school inequality can have a significant impact on students' academic achievement, college readiness, and future opportunities. Students from high schools with fewer resources and opportunities may not receive the same quality education as those from more affluent schools, leading to long-term disadvantages.

3. What are some factors that contribute to high school inequality?

There are several factors that can contribute to high school inequality, including funding disparities, teacher quality, geographic location, and racial and socioeconomic segregation. These factors can create unequal access to resources and opportunities for students.

4. How can we address high school inequality?

Addressing high school inequality requires a multi-faceted approach. This can include advocating for equitable funding for all schools, recruiting and retaining highly qualified teachers in under-resourced areas, promoting diversity and integration in schools, and providing additional support and resources for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

5. What are the long-term effects of high school inequality?

The long-term effects of high school inequality can include lower academic achievement, decreased college enrollment and completion rates, limited job opportunities, and perpetuation of the cycle of poverty. Addressing high school inequality is crucial for promoting social and economic mobility and creating a more equitable society.