Proving an identity involving hyperbolic functions

In summary, the conversation involves a student trying to prove the equation sin(x-iy) = sin(x) cosh(y) - i cos(x) sinh(y) by developing sinh into its exponential form, but getting stuck. The expert suggests adding and subtracting the same thing to convert the terms into sin, cos, sinh, and cosh, and mentions using Mary L Boas's book for self-study. The correct syntax for Boas' name is "Boas's."
tamtam402

Homework Statement

Prove sin(x-iy) = sin(x) cosh(y) - i cos(x) sinh(y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to prove it by developing sinh into it's exponential form, but I get stuck.

sinh(x-iy) = [ ei(x-iy) - e-i(x-iy) ] /2i

= [ eixey - e-ix e-y ] /2i

This is where I get stuck. I can regroup the terms to get the following equation, but doesn't seem like the right direction.

= sinh(y+ix)/i

Physics news on Phys.org
tamtam402 said:

Homework Statement

Prove sin(x-iy) = sin(x) cosh(y) - i cos(x) sinh(y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to prove it by developing sinh into it's exponential form, but I get stuck.

sinh(x-iy) = [ ei(x-iy) - e-i(x-iy) ] /2i
You mean sin(x- iy) not sinh(x-iy).

ei(x- iy= eix+ y= eixey and
e-i(x- iy)= e-ix- y= e-ixe-y
What you can do is "add and subtract the same thing":
eixey- e-ixey+ e-ixey+ e-ixe-y
= (eix- e-ix)ey+ e-ix(ey- e-y)

Now convert those to sin, cos, sinh, and cosh.

= [ eixey - e-ix e-y ] /2i

This is where I get stuck. I can regroup the terms to get the following equation, but doesn't seem like the right direction.

= sinh(y+ix)/i

You're right, I messed up the sin -> sinh when I copied my notes.

Thanks for the tip, I knew there was a small trick I was missing. Mary L Boas(*) book is pretty good so far, but it lacks some explanations sometimes. It makes it pretty hard to rely purely on that book for self-studying :(

* What's the correct syntax to use on Boas? I know Boas's is wrong.

Related to Proving an identity involving hyperbolic functions

1. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are analogous to trigonometric functions. They are defined in terms of exponential functions and are commonly used in calculus and physics.

2. How do you prove an identity involving hyperbolic functions?

To prove an identity involving hyperbolic functions, you can use the properties of hyperbolic functions, trigonometric identities, and algebraic manipulation. You can also use the definitions of hyperbolic functions and their inverse functions.

3. What is the difference between proving an identity involving hyperbolic functions and proving a trigonometric identity?

Proving an identity involving hyperbolic functions is similar to proving a trigonometric identity, but the techniques used may differ. Hyperbolic functions have different properties and definitions than trigonometric functions, so the manipulations used to prove the identity may be different.

4. Can you give an example of proving an identity involving hyperbolic functions?

One example is proving the identity cosh(x)^2 - sinh(x)^2 = 1. This can be proved by using the definitions of cosh(x) and sinh(x) and manipulating the left side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric identities.

5. Why are hyperbolic functions important in mathematics and science?

Hyperbolic functions have many applications in calculus, physics, and engineering. They are used to model various physical phenomena and can be used to solve differential equations and integrals. They also have connections to trigonometric functions and can be used to simplify complex expressions.